EAS103H1 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Good Governance, Guan Zhong, Wiman Of Gojoseon
336 views6 pages
EAS103 midterm Review!
Shang dynasty was from 1500 BCE to 1045 BCE
• Writing on oracle bones
Western Zhou dynasty was from 1045 BCE to 771 BCE
• King Wu conquered the Shang and created Zhou dynastic
• ! The Mandate of Heaven
• Under the control of King Zhou, the society was pretty peaceful
• If the ruler did not control the country well, heaven will take away the
Both of the dynastic can be found in THE BOOK OF SONGS!
Eastern Zhou Dynasty was from 770 BCE to 256 BEC
• Last king of western Zhou dynasty(周幽王) was killed by 戎 and Zhou
• Other Zhou nobles fled to 洛阳 and formed eastern Zhou, the king named
• The rise of philosophers and Confucius an Daoism (ie: 屈原 ,管仲,孙⼦,墨
• Guan Zhong 管仲 (720 - 645 BCE) was "the genius behind the rise of the
state of Qi in eastern China". He focused on Qi's economy and military and after the
reforms, Qi became much stronger .
• Confucius 孙⼦(551-479) was included Four Books and Five Classics. The
major concepts of Confucius was 仁 which means humanity, perfect goodness,
benevolence, human heartedness, and nobility. 孔⽈成仁 (people should be properly
filial and reciprocal)
• Analects was about LEARNING. "According to the Analects, the first step
in knowing the Way is to devote oneself to learning. In addition to learning, the Analects
emphasize the importance of good governance, filial piety, virtue, and ritual."
• The Spring and Autumn Annals (Period) was from 770 to 479BC
• The Intrigue of Warrior States was from 479 to 221 BCE
• Technological innovation include the crossbow, heavy leather and iron
• Mozi 墨⼦ (480-390 BCE) major concept was "concern for everyone"
• as "universal love." He put forward the idea that conflict could be eliminate
if everyone gave other people's families and other people's states the same concern her
gave his own!
• Mencius 孟⼦ (370-300 BCE) argued that "human nature was
fundamentally good because everyone is born with the capacity to recognize what is
right".(p29) And he "related men's moral nature to Heaven. Heaven want men to be moral
an operates in history through men's choices." 孟⽈取义
• Xunzi 荀⼦(310 - 215 BCE) was opposite with Mencius. He thought that
human nature were "born selfish and that it is only through education and ritual that they
learn to put moral principle above their own interest." (p30) He supported the views that
rulers should be rule by ritual and virtue.