Premium

3 Pages

Department
Environmental Studies
Course Code
ES 301
Professor
Anita Girvan

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
MIDTERM 1 TERMS
Political Ecology: Hua/eologial iteatios, poe elatioships. a uget kid of
aguet o tet [that]…sues oth the status of atue ad stoies aout the status of
atue - involves the critical tools/technologies of the hathet ad seed. p. 20 (Hatchet:
critically deconstruct things that are not working but plant seeds to create a better future). How
did e get hee? e eig elatie eause ot all huas ae esposile. Though hat
cultural and material-ecological conditions? If current conditions were not necessarily
ieitale, hat alteaties ae thee to the paths ee o?
Anthropocene: The Anthropocene: conceptual and historical perspectives (Steffen et al., 2011).
Definition: The Anthropocene is the current geological time-period in which humans are the
primary force causing environmental change. It was caused by the rapid increase in population
following the industrial revolution. A larger population required advancements in the fields of
agriculture, transportation and technology to sustain it. Increased resource consumption by
humans has led to various detriments to the environment which have become more apparent
during the Great Acceleration. Political Ecology: The Anthropocene relates to political ecology
as the term indicates an imbalance of power. This geological epoch should be the Holocene but
because humans have taken over land without regard to any other species than ourselves, we
dee it the age of the huas. Although e ae i the Athropocene, the benefit to humans
is not worldwide. People in rich countries are accumulated wealth from industrialization while
less fortunate countries are suffering for our gains. E.g. Peru (W2WC), economic growth (capital
vs laborers), chicken bone accumulation from how many humans present. Blanketing all
humans under one view.
The Great Acceleration: The Anthropocene: conceptual and historical perspectives (Steffen et
al., 2011). Definition: The Great Acceleration is a geological era within the Anthropocene which
has occurred from the 1950s to the present. After World War ll there was significant population
and economic growth, technological advancements and displacement from farmlands into
urban areas. The augmented pressures on the environment contributed to increased
greenhouse gas emission, the depletion of the ozone layer, and the loss of various ecosystems
to name a few. Political Ecology: The Great Acceleration gained in economic growth and
technological advancement at the cost of the environment. Farmlands were converted to
factories and people were forced into urbanized areas; causing displaced socio-ecological
relations. Through industrialization humans have become disconnected from nature. The Great
Acceleration has increased the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere while
decreasing biodiversity and ecosystem resilience far beyond the variability within the Holocene.
Driven by developed countries at the expense of less developed country.
Colonialism: Honoring the Truth: Reconciling for the future (TRC Committee of Canada), Enns,
Simpson Definition: the poli o patie of auiig full o patial politial otol oe
aothe out, oupig it ith settles, ad eploitig it eooiall. Political Ecology:
Colonialism is in faou of the eoe ut doest look afte the olde othe that Es
describes.
Reconciliation/ Reconcili-action Rediscoerig Caada’s Origi Story through Recociliatio
(Enns). Definition: To restore/create mutually respectful relationships. The purpose of
reconciliation is not to forget the past but to use it as a tool for creating better relations in the
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
MIDTERM 1 TERMS Political Ecology: Human/ecological interactions, power relationships. an urgent kind of argument or text [that]surveys both the status of nature and stories about the status of nature - involves the critical tools/technologies of the hatchet and seed. (p. 20) (Hatchet: critically deconstruct things that are not working but plant seeds to create a better future). How did we get here? (we being relative because not all humans are responsible). Through what cultural and material-ecological conditions? If current conditions were not necessarily inevitable, what alternatives are there to the paths were on? Anthropocene: The Anthropocene: conceptual and historical perspectives (Steffen et al., 2011). Definition: The Anthropocene is the current geological time-period in which humans are the primary force causing environmental change. It was caused by the rapid increase in population following the industrial revolution. A larger population required advancements in the fields of agriculture, transportation and technology to sustain it. Increased resource consumption by humans has led to various detriments to the environment which have become more apparent during the Great Acceleration. Political Ecology: The Anthropocene relates to political ecology as the term indicates an imbalance of power. This geological epoch should be the Holocene but because humans have taken over land without regard to any other species than ourselves, we deem it the age of the humans. Although we are in the Anthropocene, the benefit to humans is not worldwide. People in rich countries are accumulated wealth from industrialization while less fortunate countries are suffering for our gains. E.g. Peru (W2WC), economic growth (capital vs laborers), chicken bone accumulation from how many humans present. Blanketing all humans under one view. The Great Acceleration: The Anthropocene: conceptual and historical perspectives (Steffen et al., 2011). Definition: The Great Acceleration is a geological era within the Anthropocene which has occurred from the 1950s to the present. After World War ll there was significant population and economic growth, technological advancements and displacement from farmlands into urban areas. The augmented pressures on the environment contributed to increased greenhouse gas emission, the depletion of the ozone layer, and the loss of various ecosystems to name a few. Political Ecology: The Great Acceleration gained in economic growth and technological advancement at the cost of the environment. Farmlands were converted to factories and people were forced into urbanized areas; causing displaced socio-ecological relations. Through industrialization humans have become disconnected from nature. The Great Acceleration has increased the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere while decreasing biodiversity and ecosystem resilience far beyond the variability within the Holocene. Driven by developed countries at the expense of less developed country. Colonialism: Honoring the Truth: Reconciling for the future (TRC Committee of Canada), Enns, Simpson Definition: the policy or practice of acquiring full or partial political control over another country, occupying it with settlers, and exploiting it economically. Political Ecology: Colonialism is in favour of the newcomer but doesnt look after the older brother that Enns describes. Reconciliation/ Reconcili-action Rediscovering Canadas Origin Story through Reconciliation (Enns). Definition: To restore/create mutually respectful relationships. The purpose of reconciliation is not to forget the past but to use it as a tool for creating better relations in the
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit