Chemistry 1100a Test #2, November 2010 Page 1
Before starting the test, be sure that you have correctly entered:
1. All of the chlorine in 1.000 g of a mixture of2SOnd SO 2l 2as converted to
AgCl. The mass of the AgCl collected was 0.491 g. How many grams of SO 2
were in the mixture of SO2and SO C2 ?2
2. Metallic Zn is produced from ZnS ore by the following two-step process:
2 ZnS + 3 O 2 2 ZnO + 2 SO 2
ZnO + C Zn + CO
If a ZnS ore contains 4.00% ZnS by weight, what is the maximum number of
grams of Zn that can be produced from 5.00 kg of ZnS?
E) 654 Chemistry 1100a Test #2, November 2010 Page 2
3. 10.0 mL of a solution of H SO is diluted to 1.00 L. The final solution has a pH of
2.000. What is the mass percent of2HO 4n the original solution if the original
solution has a density of 1.033 g mL
4. Which one of the following is a possible set of quantum numbers for a p electron
in the Zn atom in the ground state?
n l m l m s
A) 3 1 +½
B) 4 1 1 ½
C) 3 2 3 +½
D) 2 1 2 +½
E) 3 3 2 ½ Chemistry 1100a Test #2, November 2010 Page 3
5. WAhcfe E is the correct orbital diagram for Cin the ground state?
6. How many of the statements below are correct for the Se atom in the ground
It is paramagnetic.
The highest-energy electron is in an orbital with four nodes.
The highest-energy electron could have an mlvalue of +2.
It is isoelectronic with Br .
E) None of the statements are correct Chemistry 1100a Test #2, November 2010 Page 4
7. Based on periodic trends, which one of A E is the correct order of decreasing
A) Be > Sr > Rb
B) Rb > Be > Sr
C) Rb > Sr > Be
D) Sr > Rb > Be
E) Be > Rb > Sr
8. How many of the statements below are correct for the molecule FOOF?
The best Lewis structure has zero formal charge on each atom.
Both O atoms have a trigonal planar electronic arrangement.
The bond order of the oxygen-oxygen bond is 1.
The Lewis structure does not contain any bonds.
E) None of the statements are correct
9. The correct Lewis structure of X4 is shown below. What could element X be?
C) Br OX O
D) Si O
E) N Chemistry 1100a Test #2, November 2010 Page 5
10. Which two of the following are best resonance structures2of N O? (Formal
charges are not indicated in the Lewis structures.)
NN O NN O NN O NN O
1 2 3 4
B) 2 and 3
C) 1 and 3
D) 3 and 4
E) 1 and 2
11. Which statement about SiF4, SeF4, and Kr4 is most correct?
A) They have different molecular shapes.
B) They are all of VSEPR type AX4.
C) They are all nonpolar molecules.
D) They all have the same number of nonbonding electrons.
E) They all have the same number of regions of
electron density at the central atom.
12. Whiohof E contains a bond angle that is closest to 120°?
A) BF 3
B) NH 3
C) PCl 3
D) BrF 3
E) H 3O Chemistry 1100a Test #2, November 2010 Page 6
13. Which one of the following has a trigonal bipyramidal electronic arrangement but
a see-saw shape?
A) XeO F
C) PCl 5
D) PCl 4+
E) XeF 4
14. How many of the species below are polar (have a net dipole moment)?
CO 3 SF 4 CF 4 CH 2 2
E) None of them
15. Acetaldehyde, shown on the right, is the first compound formed
when ethanol is metabolized. Which statement about
acetaldehyde is correct? H
A) The bond between carbons 1 and 2 can
freely rotate without breaking the bond. carbon 2
B) Carbon2is sp-hybridized.
C) Acetaldehyde contains only three bonds.
D) The oxygen atom is sp-hybridized.
E) It has a molecular formula of 2 HO. Chemistry 1100a Test #2, November 2010 Page 7
16. Which one of the following statements is NOT correct?
A) An sp -hybridized carbon can form two bonds.
B) Thetwo bonds in acetylene (HCCH) are perpendicular to each other.
C) When sp hybridization occurs, the resulting hybrid orbitals are degenerate.
D) The hydrogen atoms in CH are 4ot hybridized.
E) Bonds that are spherically symmetrical about the bond axis are bonds.
17. Which statement about diborane, B 2H 6 is NOT correct?
A) It contains four 3-centre-2-electron bonds.
B) It contains two bridging hydrides.
C) The two boron atoms are sp -hybridized.
D) It contains four terminal hydrogens.
E) It contains a total of 12 valence electrons.
18. Which one of the following statements about molecular orbital theory is correct?
A) * molecular orbitals are formed by the sideways overlap of out-of-