Classical Studies 2300 Study Guide - Final Guide: Doxa, Euripides, Eugen Sandow

129 views11 pages

Document Summary

Author, where/what it came from context of the passage. Additional information (some require you to read the quote) Lecture 17 roman gladiators and roman recreation. Seneca (a tutor and advisor to nero), criticism of violence of roman spectacle. And nothing is so damaging to good morals as to hang around at some spectacle. There through pleasure, vice sneaks in more easily. I come back more greedy, more desirous of honour, more dissolute, even more unfeeling and cruel, because i have been among people. By chance i happened to be at the spectacle at noontime, expecting some witty entertainment and (cid:396)ela(cid:454)atio(cid:374), to (cid:396)est (cid:373)e(cid:374)"s e(cid:455)es f(cid:396)o(cid:373) the go(cid:396)e. it (cid:449)as the opposite. Whate(cid:448)e(cid:396) fighti(cid:374)g the(cid:396)e (cid:449)as before was comparative mercy. Now there was pure murder, no more fooling around. No hel(cid:373)et o(cid:396) shield pushes the sword away. In the morning men are thrown to lions and bears, at noontime to the audience. (cid:862)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers