Law 5110 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Rome I Regulation, Timeshare, United Nations Convention On Contracts For The International Sale Of Goods

9 views4 pages
6 Sep 2020
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Rome i regulation - applicable law for contractual obligations in civil. Scope and features of rome i: scope, art. 1(1): rome i applies in the courts of ms in situations involving a conflict of laws with regards to contractual obligations in civil and commercial matters (determines the applicable law for contractual obligations, complimenting brussels i): rome. I contains no definition of "contractual obligation" extensive interpretation, even includes one-sided obligations such as suretyship. 20: purely public-law matters are excluded (i. e. , exchange regulations and trade embargos), art. 2: unlike brussels i and ii, which only apply to ms, the conflict rules in rome i applies to every legal system in the world. However, countries do not have to apply rome i itself (i. e. , denmark): art. Sale of goods, etc: rome i does not leave any residual space for autonomous national conflict rules, many commercial disputes are dealt with through arbitration, and such proceedings are not bound by rome i.