LIPOPROTEIN METABOLISM – Study Questions
1. What are the uses of triglycerides and cholesterol in the body?
2. Which lipoproteins are the least dense? Which are the most dense? Are the most dense
larger or smaller than the least dense?
3. What is the purpose of apoplipoproteins?
4. What are the two types of metabolism of cholesterol? What is the difference between
5. What are the major dietary fats absorbed by the intestine? What are the minor dietary
6. What is the function of pancreatic lipase?
7. Where do pancreatic lipases and bile salts enter the small intestine?
8. Where are fats absorbed?
9. Where are bile salts reabsorbed? What percentage is recycled?
10. What are the 4 stages of chylomicron metabolism?
11. What percentage of dietary cholesterol is retained in the enterocyte?
12. Which transporter is responsible for the rejection of plant sterols? What else does it
transport out of the cell?
13. Which transporter is responsible for transport of cholesterol into the cell?
14. What is MTP? What is its function in the cell?
15. What percentage of the core of a chylomicron is cholesterol? What is the rest of the core
made up of? What comprises the surface of a chylomicron?
16. What apolipoproteins are picked up by the chylomicron? Where do they come from?
17. Where is lipoprotein lipase located?
18. How do triglycerides leave the chylomicron?
19. What happens to the chylomicron remnant? What’s another name for this lipoprotein?
20. What happens to the apolipoproteins as the lipoprotein loses triglyceride? Why?
21. How is the remnant chylomicron cleared?
22. What is the function of hepatic lipase? How does it perform this function?
23. How is the chylomicron remnant taken up by the liver?
24. How much cholesterol is taken up by the liver from intestinal chylomicrons? Why is this
25. Why does hepatic cholesterol rise after dietary cholesterol is taken up by the liver? What
is the consequence of raised hepatic cholesterol?
26. What are the steps to endogenous cholesterol metabolism?
27. What is the main component of very low density lipoproteins? Where do the fatty acids
for these lipoproteins come from? What stimulates their production?
28. What proteins are involved in fatty acid synthesis? What is their function?
29. Where does the cholesterol that is transported by VLDLs come from?
30. Which enzyme esterifies cholesterol?
31. Which phospholipid is required for VLDL formation? 32. Which lipoproteins are required for VLDL assembly and secretion? What is the function
33. How is