Physiology 2130 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Thyroid, Tachycardia, Adrenal Gland

74 views8 pages

Document Summary

Different hormones give different responses; one can take up blood glucose, once can speed up heart rate, etc: depending on target tissue, you can get a different response (i. e. epinephrine) Hormone: chemical signal secreted into bloodstream to act on a distant tissue i. e. antidiuretic hormone secreted by the pituitary can travel to kidney. Hormone: chemical signal secreted into bloodstream to act on a distant tissue i. e. antidiuretic hormone secreted by the pituitary can travel to kidney i. e. insulin secreted by pancreas will act on muscle to take glucose in. *hor(cid:373)o(cid:374)es do(cid:374)"t (cid:374)e(cid:272)essaril(cid:455) ha(cid:448)e to (cid:271)e released (cid:271)(cid:455) a gla(cid:374)d; (cid:272)a(cid:374) (cid:271)e released fro(cid:373) (cid:272)ells i(cid:374) a(cid:374) organ (i. e. skin, heart, kidney)* List some of the endocrine glands/tissues and the associated hormones that are released. Thyroid: t3 and t4: hormones are influenced by their building blocks. Influence their solubility properties, how they circulate in the blood, how rapidly they can produce an effect, and the receptor location where the hormone binds.