Premium

2 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
Psychology 1000
Professor
Corey Isaacs

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Meta-analysis: A Look at the Big Picture
Technique of meta-analysis allows researchers to combine the results of many
studies to arrive at an over conclusion
In the psychotherapy research literature they can compute an effect size statistic
that represents a common measure of treatment effectiveness
Effect size tells researchers what percentage of clients who have received therapy
has a more favourable outcome tan that of the average control client who did not
receive the treatment
Smith and Glass…therapy does indeed have positive effects beyond spontaneous
remission
Grissom found that clients who received therapy were likely to have a more
favourable outcome than 70% of those in no-treatment control conditions and 66%
of those in placebo conditions
Psychodynamic, client-cantered, and behavioural approaches were quite similar in
their effectiveness
More positive effects than Gestalt therapy
This finding of similar efficacy for widely differing therapies has been termed the
dodo bird verdict
Other researchers challenge this conclusion, maintaing that the fact that specific
therapies migh be highly effective for treating some clinical disorders but not others
How much do clients have to improve in order to have a successful outcome?
Clinical significance require that at the end of the therapy, clients’ depression
scored fall within the range for non-depressed people
Factors Affecting the Outcome of Therapy
Client variables
o Nature of problem, client motivation
o Three important factors
Openness to therapy- clients willingness to invest themselves in
therapy
Self-relatedness- ability to experience and understand internal states
such as thoughts and emotions and apply what they learn in therapy
to their lived outside of treatment
Nature of the problem- example, specific problems such as phobias
may respond best to a behavioural anxiety-reduction treatment such
as systematic desensitization
Therapist variables
o Empathy, genuineness, experience
o Quality of relationship between client and therapist
o This has the most beneficial effects
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Metaanalysis: A Look at the Big Picture Technique of metaanalysis allows researchers to combine the results of many studies to arrive at an over conclusion In the psychotherapy research literature they can compute an effect size statistic that represents a common measure of treatment effectiveness Effect size tells researchers what percentage of clients who have received therapy has a more favourable outcome tan that of the average control client who did not receive the treatment Smith and Glasstherapy does indeed have positive effects beyond spontaneous remission Grissom found that clients who received therapy were likely to have a more favourable outcome than 70 of those in notreatment control conditions and 66 of those in placebo conditions Psychodynamic, clientcantered, and behavioural approaches were quite similar in their effectiveness More positive effects than Gestalt therapy This finding of similar efficacy for widely differing therapies has been termed the dodo bird verdict Other researchers challenge this conclusion, maintaing that the fact that specific therapies migh be highly effective for treating some clinical disorders but not others How much do clients have to improve in order to have a successful outcome? Clinical significance require that at the end of the therapy, clients depression scored fall within the range for nondepressed people Factors Affecting the Outcome of Therapy Client variables o Nature of problem, client motivation o Three important factors Openness to therapy clients willingness to invest themselves in therapy Selfrelatedness ability to experience and understand internal states such as thoughts and emotions and apply what they learn in therapy to their lived outside of treatment Nature of the problem example, specific problems such as phobias may respond best to a behavioural anxietyreduction treatment such as systematic desensitization Therapist variables o Empathy, genuineness, experience o Quality of relationship between client and therapist o This has the most beneficial effects
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit