Psychology 2075 Study Guide - Final Guide: Transvestic Fetishism, Sexual Addiction, Paraphilia

212 views34 pages
Page 1 of 34
Psych 2075: Units 10-12, Chapters 15-19
Chapter 15: Variations in Sexual Behaviour
When is Sexual Behaviour Abnormal?
Defining Abnormal
o One that is rare/deviant from the social norm; inefficient and uncomfortable
o This is difficult to define because cultures have different definitions of rare
o Paraphilia: an intense and persistent sexual interest in unusual objects, situations, or individuals
o Paraphilic Disorder: paraphilia that causes distress or impairment to the individual or that harms or
would harm other people
Difference between a disorder vs. paraphilia; disorder has specific criteria:
The fantasies, urges, or behaviours are recurrent and intense
They have occurred for at least six months
They have negative consequences to the individual (i.e. distress, impairment, harm
to others)
Some paraphilia are illegal (ex. Pedophilia) while others are not (ex. Fetishism, sexual
masochism)
o Othe ehaious that dot iole eploitatio o foe but violate community standards of taste
Indecent Exposure: shoig oes geitals i a puli plae to passes; ehiitiois
Voyeurism, indecent acts in a public place, and public nudity
The Normal-Abnormal Continuum
o Ex. Strength of preference for fetish object
Mild preference Strong Preference Necessity Substitute for Human Partner
o Whe it eoes a eessit the aot eoe aoused ithout it, thats osideed aoal ad
is considered a paraphilia
o A behaviour is considered abnormal on the continuum when it interferes with having healthy
relationships or completing daily activities or causes harm to other people
Sexual Addictions and Compulsions
Patik Caes stated its siila to aloholis ad defied the as
o Alcoholism: pathological relationship with the mood-altering substance
o Sexual addiction: pathological relationship to a sexual event or process, substituting it for a healthy
relationship with others
o Criticisms:
No physiological withdrawal symptoms in sexual addiction vs. alcoholism
The term addiction may affect perceptions of behaviours and thus become an excuse for
illegal, destructive behaviour
E. I addited to se, I at otol self
o We use the term compulsive sexual behaviour not sexual addiction
Compulsive Sexual Behaviour: a disorder in which the person experiences intense sexually arousing
fantasies, urges, and associated sexual behaviour
o Sexual compulsion can be paraphilic or nonparaphilic (conventional sexual behaviours)
o More men than women suffer from this approx. 5% of population has this
o Key distinguishing feature lack of control over the behaviour
o Studies show:
Some people show increased sexual interest when anxious or depressed + low sexual
inhibition (self-control) = compulsive sexual behaviour in an attempt to improve/escape
from the negative mode
Factors influencing potential for sexual compulsions: low self-esteem, depression, need
for validation and affection, stress release, availability of partners, and/or childhood
sexual abuse
o Care’s Aalsis each episode of the sexually compulsive behaviour proceeds via a four-step cycle,
hih itesifies eah tie its epeated:
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 34 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Page 2 of 34
1. Preoccupation: the peso a thik of othig othe tha the seual at to hih thee
addicted
2. Rituals: the person enacts certain rituals that have become a prelude to the addictive act
3. Compulsive sexual behaviour: the sexual behaviour is enacted and the person feels that he or
she has no control over it
4. Despair: rather than feeling good after the sexual act is completed, the addict falls into a feeling
of hopelessness and despair
Fetishism: characterized by sexual fantasies, urges, or behaviours involving the use of nonliving objects to
produce/enhance sexual arousal with or in the absence of a partner
In extreme cases, the person is incapable of arousal/orgasm without the object present
Fetish item is typically something c loosely associated with the body
Inanimate objects can be divided in two subcategories: media fetishes and form fetishes
Media Fetishes and Form Fetishes
o Media Fetish: the material out of which an object is made is the source of arousal
Can be divided into either:
Soft Media Fetish: substance is soft like fur or silk
Hard Media Fetish: substance is hard like leather or rubber often associated
with sadomasochism
o Form Fetish: the object and its shape are important
Ex. Shoe fetish where the shoes must be high-heeled
Why Do People Develop a Fetish?
o Learning Theory: fetishes result from classical conditioning in which a learned association is built
between the fetish object and sexual arousal and orgasm
Sometimes a single trial can develop the association
o Cognitive Psychology: people with fetishes/other paraphilia have a serious cognitive distortion in
that they perceive an unconventional stimulus as erotic
Feelings of guilt and self-loathing lead to arousal, arousal drives them to sexual
behaviour, sexual behaviour leads to orgasm and temporary relief, and then they have a
negative evaluation of the event leading to the cycle beginning again
o Theory of Sexual Addiction (explored later)
Transvestism: the practice of deriving sexual gratification from dressing as a member of the other gender;
transvestic fetishism
Some gay men dress up as women = drag queens
Some lesbians dress in masculine clothes = drag kings
Female Impersonators: men who dress as women, often as part of their jobs as entertainers
o Ex. Robin Williams was one in Mrs. Doubtfire
o Young boys cross dress mainly out of curiosity
Transvestite: a heterosexual man who dresses in female clothing to produce/enhance sexual arousal
o Ke poit: its fo seual aousal ot epessio of ie gede
o Most common with men, perhaps because society is more accepting of women wearing masculine
clothes
o A lot more men with paraphilia than women, explained by:
Sociobiology evolution
Males are to inseminate many partners and be aroused by stimuli without
emotional content
Males taught to be instrumental and to initiate sexual interactions
Females meant to be nurturing and empathetic
Psychoanalytic theory paraphilia results from castration anxiety which is relieved via a
forceful sexual act
Women do not fear castration and are not subject to paraphilia
Unlock document

Page 3 of 34
o Studies show that men dress up for a variety of reasons not always sexual
o Some families are accepting of cross dressing some wives even help the husbands
o Occurs on a continuum:
Mild form = harmless, victimless sexual variations
Etee = pesos ol soue of eoti gatifiatio o he it eoes a opulsio
they at otol – thus distress occurs in their life
BDSM
Sexual Sadist: a person who derives sexual excitement/satisfaction from inflicting pain, suffering, or
humiliation on another person person inflicting pain
Sexual Masochist: a person who is sexually aroused by fantasies, urges, or behaviours involving being beaten,
humiliated, bound, or tortured to enhance or achieve sexual excitement person receiving pain
Two Styles of Interaction Related to Sadism-Masochism (S-M)
o Bondage and Discipline (B-D): use of physically restraining devices or psychologically restraining
commands as a central aspect of sexual interactions
Ex. Obedience, servitude but no physical pain
o Dominance and Submission (D-S): interaction involving a consensual exchange of power, the
dominant partner uses their own power to control and sexually stimulate the submissive partner
BDSM
o B and D = bondage and discipline
o D and S = dominance and submission
o S and M = sadism and masochism
Sexual Sadism and Masochism
o More common than people think includes spanking and handcuffs
o Majority of people are interested in it/have fantasized about it
o men report being interested in it since childhood, women are more likely to have been introduced to
the subculture by someone else
o Women prefer bondage, spanking, and master-and-slave role-playing
o Fou thees ee idetified i a sue egadig patiipats ehaious i the past ea:
1. Hyper masculinity (ex. Dildo, enema)
2. Administering and receiving pain (ex. Hot wax, clothespins attached to nipples)
3. Physical restriction (ex. Handcuffs)
4. Humiliation (ex. Verbal or face slapping)
o Less intense behaviours are much more common
o Pain is only arousing when part of the scripted ritual
Ex. Slamming finger in door is not arousing
Causes of Preference for Sexual Sadomasochism
o Learning Theory girl caught masturbating and is spanked
o Childhood sexual abuse may cause sadistic fantasies
Ex. The fantasies help them cope with the abuse then become an influencer on future
behaviour
o Psychological Theory sexual masochistic activity allows the person to escape from who they are
Prevalent amongst men who have heavy pressures for autonomy, separateness, and
individual achievement; it helps them escape these expectations
Bondage and Discipline
o BDSM Munch: informal gathering of people who are interested in DSM, often at a restaurant, so
they can eat, socialize, and meet other people with similar interests
o Common themes (in order) for why B-D: play (sex is fun), exchange of power, and intensified sexual
pleasure
o Majoit of people like eig the passie otto oles
Dominance and Submission
o Key to S-M is not pain but rather dominance and submission
Unlock document

Document Summary

Psych 2075: units 10-12, chapters 15-19: one that is rare/deviant from the social norm; inefficient and uncomfortable. This is difficult to define because cultures have different definitions of rare. Paraphilia: an intense and persistent sexual interest in unusual objects, situations, or individuals. Paraphilic disorder: paraphilia that causes distress or impairment to the individual or that harms or would harm other people: difference between a disorder vs. paraphilia; disorder has specific criteria: The fantasies, urges, or behaviours are recurrent and intense. They have occurred for at least six months. They have negative consequences to the individual (i. e. distress, impairment, harm to others) Fetishism, sexual masochism: othe(cid:396) (cid:271)eha(cid:448)iou(cid:396)s that do(cid:374)(cid:859)t i(cid:374)(cid:448)ol(cid:448)e e(cid:454)ploitatio(cid:374) o(cid:396) fo(cid:396)(cid:272)e but violate community standards of taste. Indecent exposure: sho(cid:449)i(cid:374)g o(cid:374)e(cid:859)s ge(cid:374)itals i(cid:374) a pu(cid:271)li(cid:272) pla(cid:272)e to passe(cid:396)s(cid:271)(cid:455); e(cid:454)hi(cid:271)itio(cid:374)is(cid:373: voyeurism, indecent acts in a public place, and public nudity.