EC255 Study Guide - Fall 2018, Comprehensive Midterm Notes - Statistical Inference, Sample Space, Histogram

152 views24 pages
12 Oct 2018
School
Department
Course
EC255
MIDTERM EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Fall 2018
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 24 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Unlock document

Introduction to Statistics
What is Statistics?
Statistics is the art and science of gathering, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data
Key issues:
o How to quantify data
o Transform data into information
o Transform information into knowledge
o How to deal with uncertainty
Vocabulary
Measurement: process of transforming something our senses cannot perceive into something
they can receive
Data: measurements that are collected, recorded, and summarized for presentation, analysis, and
interpretation
Element: an entity or object on which data are collected (also called case, subject, individual)
Variable: characteristic of the elements whose values may differ from element to element and is
of interest to the data collector
Observation: measurement of a variable or variables on a single element
Types of data:
o Qualitative: labels or names for a characteristic
o Quantitative: measurement of amount or quantity (discrete or continuous)
Data management: categorization of the values of a variable according to the amount of
information conveyed about the elements to which they correspond
Nominal level: values represent category or group membership of elements (is A=B? i.e. eye
colour)
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

Ordinal level: values convey less than, equal to, and greater than relationships among elements
(i.e. relative ranks of elements with respect to their values for the variable in question, A>B or
A<B)
Interval level: values convey how much more or less one value is than another value (how much is
A-B? i.e. temperature)
Ratio level: values can take on a natural or absolute zero (how much is A/B?)
Data Measurement Examples
Discrete ratio
o How many automobiles do you currently own? __ (number) (from zero)
Continuous interval
o What is the high temperature today? __ (Celsius) (can go below zero, could take on decimal
value)
Continuous ratio
o What is your animal income? __ ($) (can have decimals)
Nominal
o Are you married? (yes or no)
Ordinal
o How would you rate the value of the product (excellent, good, fair, poor)
More Vocabulary
Population
o Collection of ALL possible elements of interest (i.e. everyone in Canada who voted in the last
election)
Census
o Collection of values for all variables (i.e. did you vote in the last election?) of interest that
correspond to all elements of a population
o Size usually denoted by "N"
Parameter
o Descriptive measure of a population (i.e. age of people who voted)
Sample
o Collection of elements drawn from the population (i.e. subset of the population)
i.e. sample of 365 voters from last election
o Size usually denoted by "n"
Unlock document

Document Summary

Statistics is the art and science of gathering, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data: key issues, how to quantify data, transform data into information, transform information into knowledge, how to deal with uncertainty. Interval level: values convey how much more or less one value is than another value (how much is. A-b? i. e. temperature: ratio level: values can take on a natural or absolute zero (how much is a/b?) __ ($) (can have decimals: nominal, are you married? (yes or no, ordinal, how would you rate the value of the product (excellent, good, fair, poor) Sample: collection of elements drawn from the population (i. e. subset of the population, collection of elements drawn from the population (i. e. subset of the population) i. e. sample of 365 voters from last election, size usually denoted by n Statistic: an estimate of the value of a parameter based on the elements that belong to the sample (i. e. average age of voters was 32)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers