Study Guides (238,613)
Canada (115,253)
York University (9,816)
ADMS 1000 (259)

Chapter 4 You might want to make improvements to these notes because they were from last year (winter), I attended this class however did not take part. What I did was I take addition notes on top of these notes, with more updated examples and etc. PS: my

7 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
Administrative Studies
ADMS 1000
Eytan Lasry

Lecture 4 Slide 4: - About competitive advantage - Decisions implemented by firms - Temporary; stainable: protection for competitive competition - 5 forces model o External: inside firms o Internal Slide 3: - Model o Michael porter o 5 forces influence the firms to a degree to make money o Branch of economic o Social welfare is maximized - Minimized monopolistic prices o No cooperation - Flip on its help (Michael Porter) o Gain monopolistic characteristic o Distort completion = more profit and money - Industry o Many firms with similar machines, resources, etc Example: beer brewing, Air Company, book store (online) Slide 5: - Danger; new companies entry - Low or high barriers o Influence of profitability - Economies of scale o Reduce cost with higher production o Fixed cost to the production of products o Higher: that means older costumers; new companies would have to work o Low barriers; services would have to work harder o Varies depended on consumed Example: account o When first started: fixed cost (computer, table, desk, etc. o Latter become better make more money due to more clients Example: switching from company to company o Contracts (3 years) o Cost - Channels Either high to low barriers o Pharmaceutical to tell doctors to (amount the examples) use specific drugs 1. Economies of scale Example: Doctors and Pharmaceutical 2. Switching cost for buyers 3. Access to disruption o Selling drugs to doctors channel - Cost disadvantages unreeled to scale 4. Cost disadvantage - Protected by law, trade secret Example: trade paten o Cannot copy this object or idea for 20 years, etc. Slide 6: - Buy things from suppliers - Inputs are critical - Many or few suppliers Example: computers o Many computers companies o Needs to buy chips from Intel o Buying operating chips from Microsoft - Microsoft, Intel, etc. Can charge anything for their chips; these computer companies need these chip therefore they would buy at any cost - More companies to choose from = less bargaining power - Power - Only would pay so much - How does it get split? o High switching cost - Switching cost o Get points; gas is gas nothing different - Competitive products o No switching power o Need gas to drive a car o Product is essential; people will pay - Buyers to producers o Highly concentrated o High barriers to gas company o Few types of gas companies o Million of buyers Example: gas: competition is high o People are willing to go far for the cheapest price o No switching cost o One lows = another lower o Low bargaining power for the buyers Slide 8: - Potential substitutes - More competition Example: Gas: hard to substitute Air vs. Rail travel: small substitute Slide 9: - Lots of rivals - Same size - Usually 2 big markets than little one’s here and there - Exit barriers o Hard to leave o Fix or sunk o Cost Example: Factories o Spend million in building factories o Cannot give it up because loss of money o No executive want to leave / mangers - Pressure = plays a role of the 5 factors model Slid
More Less

Related notes for ADMS 1000

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.