ADMS 2400 Study Guide - Summer 2018, Comprehensive Midterm Notes - Canada, Quo Status Quo Album, United States

419 views153 pages
ADMS 2400
MIDTERM EXAM
STUDY GUIDE
Fall 2018
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 153 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Unlock document

ADMS 2400 Tutorial 1 Notes Action Research and Kotter’s Eight-Step Plan for Implementing
Change
Introduction
Kotter’s Eight-Step Plan for Implementing Change
A key feature of Lei’s three-step model is its conception of change as an episodic
activity.
For a debate about whether organizational change today is an episodic activity or an
ongoing and at times chaotic process, see Point/Counterpoint.
John Kotter of Harvard Business School uilt o Lei’s three-step model to create a
more detailed approach for implementing change.
Kotter began by listing common failures that occur when managers try to initiate
change.
These include the inability to create a sense of urgency about the need for change
Failure to create a coalition for managing the change process
The absence of a vision for change and inability to effectively communicate that vision
Not removing obstacles that could impede the achievement of the vision
Failure to provide short-term and achievable goals
The tendency to declare victory too soon; and/or not anchoring the changes in the
orgaizatio’s ulture.
Kotter then established eight sequential steps to overcome these problems.
These steps are listed in Exhibit 14-5.
Notice how Exhibit 14-5 uilds o Lei’s odel.
Kotter’s first four steps essetially represet the ufreezig stage.
“teps 5 through 7 represet oig.
The fial step orks o refreezig.
Kotter’s otriutio lies i proidig aagers ad hage agents with a more detailed
guide for successfully implementing change.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

Action Research
Action research refers to a change process based on the systematic collection of data
and then selection of a change action based on what the analyzed data indicate.
Organizational change today is an episodic activity or an ongoing and at times chaotic
process, see Point/Counterpoint.
Joh Kotter of Harard Busiess “hool uilt o Lei’s three-step model to create a
more detailed approach for implementing change.
Kotter began by listing common failures that occur when managers try to initiate
change.
These include the inability to create a sense of urgency about the need for change
Failure to create a coalition for managing the change process
The absence of a vision for change and inability to effectively communicate that vision
Not removing obstacles that could impede the achievement of the vision
Failure to provide short-term and achievable goals
The tendency to declare victory too soon; and/or not anchoring the changes in the
orgaizatio’s ulture.
Kotter then established eight sequential steps to overcome these problems.
These steps are listed in Exhibit 14-5.
Notice how Exhibit 14-5 uilds o Lei’s odel.
Kotter’s first four steps essetially represet the ufreezig stage.
Unlock document

Document Summary

Adms 2400 tutorial 1 notes action research and kotter"s eight-step plan for implementing. Adms 2400 lecture 1 notes creating a learning organization and what is a learning. Just as individuals learn, so too do organizations: a learning organization is an organization that has developed the continuous capacity to adapt and change, all organizations learn, whether they consciously choose to or not. It does not question whether the temperature should be set at 17 c: a new idea is developed. It is a fundamental requirement for their sustained existence: some organizations just do it better than others, most organizations engage in what has been called single-loop learning. In contrast, learning organizations use double loop learning: they (cid:272)orre(cid:272)t errors (cid:271)y (cid:373)odifyi(cid:374)g the orga(cid:374)izatio(cid:374)"s o(cid:271)je(cid:272)ti(cid:448)es, poli(cid:272)ies, a(cid:374)d sta(cid:374)dard routines, double-loop learning challenges deeply rooted assumptions and norms within an organization. Adms 2400 tutorial 3 notes appreciative inquiry. Adms 2400 lecture 3 notes managing learning. Adms 2400 tutorial 4 notes the organization work.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers