POLS 3125 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Central Canada, Navigation Acts, Terra Nullius

59 views2 pages

Document Summary

The first national policy was a canadian economic program which was introduced after confederation. It called for high tariffs on imported manufactured items to protect the manufacturing industry, transcontinental railway and immigration. The driving force behind the immigration policy were the economic interests of the industrial bourgeoisie as the immigrants provided cheap labour sources. Spatial bias of the first national policy favoured central canada. Maritimes instead of following through with the industrial promise was de-industrialized by montreal firms takeover. National policy i(cid:374) the west i(cid:374)(cid:272)luded higher freight rates + (cid:858)fair dis(cid:272)ri(cid:373)i(cid:374)atio(cid:374)(cid:859) a(cid:374)d higher pri(cid:272)es o(cid:374) machinery and lower technology. Leads to revolts in both but resulted into nothing because of insufficient political power: mercantilism: Mercantilism was the primary economic system used from the 16th century to the 19th century in. The goal was to increase national wealth by imposing government regulation that oversaw all of the (cid:374)atio(cid:374)(cid:859)s (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:373)er(cid:272)ial i(cid:374)terest.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers