Study Guides (238,294)
Canada (115,060)
York University (9,811)
Psychology (1,150)
PSYC 2030 (57)

PSYCH2030 Introduction to Research Methods Lecture 7 *Hint for multiple choice* and final lecture notes before Test 2.

5 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
PSYC 2030
Rebecca Jubis

PSYCH2030 Lecture 7 13-03-10 9:07 PM Sorry for missing Lecture 6, I was ill and not able to make it to class. *Multiple varied analysis will be a multiple choice question* Test 2: Next Week Observational and Survey Research Methods Goals of Psychology: 1. Describe 2. Predict 3. Control 4. Explain Behaviour Observational Research: 1. Purpose is to describe behaviour as it naturally occurs in a given setting. 2. Two Types: o Naturalistic Observations  Absence of Control  Unable to Infer Causality  Observer Bias  Ways of Reducing Observer Bias: • Having multiple observers and assessing the inter-observer reliability • Videotape • *Behaviour Checklist (also operationalize your terms) o Participant Observations Use different sampling procedures 1. Time Sampling 2. Event 3. Individual To reduce Subject Reactivity: 1. use unobtrusive measures o direct unobtrusive measures o indirect unobtrusive measures Survey Research- a structured set of questions are given to measure people’s attitudes/beliefs. Two Types of Sampling: 1. Probability Sampling o Population and sample 2. Non-Probability Sampling In order to generalize from your sample to the population, your sample must be representative of the population (it must be unbiased). Probability Sampling Type of Research Sampling: 1. Random Sampling 2. Cluster Sampling- you randomly select a cluster of people all having a common feature randomly selected. i. i.e. select 7 out of 20 buildings ii. select 3 out of 25 floors
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2030

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.