Psychology (1,150)
PSYC 3125 (9)

exam notes.docx

6 Pages
Unlock Document

York University
PSYC 3125
Alexandra Rutherford

first -emergence of testing psychology -psychotechnics What is intelligence? (Group Exercise) -ability to utilize what you learn to progress/adapt/succeed -forming abstract thoughts - diff types of intelligence: i.e. emotional, social intelligence etc - what is measured by binet's test -fluid intelligence/ vs crystallized intelligence - open-mindedness 'being able to use critical faculties to reflect on and act upon oneself and ones environment" General Intelligence: Unitary, can be broken down into specific intelligences - A real entity that can be measured Galton: strength/size of nervous system i.e. measuring brain size -Innate: environment may play small role, but overall cannot go past a certain level that is 'set' Binet: Logical reasoning, problem solving, adaptation, different kinds of intelligences - intelligence is malleable (can increase ones intelligence through excercie/experience) new research: hower garner -the technologies that measured intelligence were much more better formed than the definition(s) that existed Consensus among psychologists : Intelligence is what the intelligence tests test next "Scientific racism" Binet his test was brought to us by Goddard - Intelligence is malleable, intelligence is multi-faceted - observed his daughters madelline and alice, different kinds of perspectives/types of intelligence - Binet's "Individual Psychology" - felt he was unsuccessful - was trying to get away from the psychougenicists view in light of laws that made public education mandatory, need to identify the 'delayed' kids - where as before these 'abnormal' kids may have found alternatives to school, compulsory schooling made it important to identify how to identify these individuals Goddard and feeble mindedness: "Feeble minded" may pass as normal but are "Feeble minded" - belief with physiognomy would detect this too :Goddard main use of bidets test : to identify the feeble minded Lewis Terman: Wanted to be able to place anyone on a 'distribution of intelligence' - Norm'ing the test - became the Stanford-Binet test -> I.Q. one number that sums up unitary/hereditary intelligence - also a eugenisist - hope: identify groups of people who can be educated based on their specific potential WWI: use test to make recommendations for which recruits should be eliminated Two tests: ARMY ALPHA/ARMY BETA(BETA FOR ILLITERATES) - according to psychologists: these tests were a huge success - fairly little impact based on psychologists evaluation of the test results then a few years later, racial hierarchy was established around these results video: nearly half of american soldiers are feeble minded fear that americans are stupid, gene pool is getting fucked up Mendel: genetics causes intelligence , intelligence leads to things like poverty prostitution etc i.e. "The leopard can't change his spots, therefore people can't change what nature gave em" 1925 Army Alpha Test: Many of the questions were testing a "Body of knowledge" Culturally loaded questions (check the slides) FAS, 1980 AMERICA: tests used to rank, and tailor 'abnormals' - John Dewey: every individual should have an education that is suited to their strengths FRANCE: tests used to identify abnormals Brigham 1923: - ask certain types of questions: are mental abilities of people from southern/eastern euroep same as northern europe? Did intelligence of black recruits differ from white recruits? "Racial Hierchy" Robert Woodsworth: -army soldiers 'decompensating' - psychologists hired by managers of factories/corporations: give personality tests to employees to find out if they are likely to be in a union etc, would they be docile/submissive etc. -i.e. we wanted "WELL ADJUSTED" workers HR(HUMAN RELATIONS): emerged in the 30's came about as an acknowledgement by management that they couldn't just treat workers as machines -managers had to pay attention to subjective aspect of being a worker Hawthorne effectnounthe alteration of behavior by the subjects of a study due to their awareness of being observed.i.e. illumination study: in every condition, productivity always increased1 - brought in Elton Mayo - intensive study of 6 women for multiple years - conclusions: productivity increased(due to social relations, solidarity as a team) 2 - so not about a particular type of physical environment (like lights) - it was the human relations that was important - However: 2 of the women were dropped
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3125

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.