Study Guides (258,890)
CA (125,041)
York (10,253)
PSYC (1,201)
PSYC 3490 (20)
Study Guide

PSYC 3490- Final Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 77 pages long!)
Premium

77 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 3490
Professor
Jean Varghese

This preview shows pages 1-4. Sign up to view the full 77 pages of the document.
Page: of

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
[PSYC 3490] Comprehensive fall guide including any lecture notes, textbook notes and exam guides.find more resources at oneclass.com Adult Development and Aging Chapter 3 Notes Chapter Three – The Study of Adult Development and Aging: Research Methods VARIABLES IN DEVELOPMENTAL RESEARCH • Variable is a ▯hara▯teristi▯ that ▯▯aries▯ fro▯ i▯di▯idual to i▯di▯idual • Dependent variable is the outcome that researchers observe • Independent variable is the factor that the researcher manipulates • Researchers use an experimental design to study a question of interest decide on conditions that will allow them to manipulate a particular independent variable o Randomly assigns respondents to groups. These groups represent different levels of the independent variable, such as exposure to a treatment (in the experimental group) versus no exposure to treatment (in the control group) o Researcher then compares the two groups on the dependent variable • Because age cannot be experimentally manipulated, we say that studies of aging represent the quasi-experimental design in which researchers compare groups on predetermined characteristics. Same is true for sex, ethnicity, or social class differences (no cause-and-effect conclusion) DESCRIPTIVE RESEARCH DESIGNS • To ▯e a▯le to ▯ake legiti▯ate ▯lai▯s a▯out ▯age▯ a▯d ▯ot the so▯ial or histori▯al period, researchers must be able to build controls into their data designs and analyses that can rule out these social and historical factors • Studies on aging use a descriptive research design, providing information about age differences but not attempting to rule out social or historical factors o For example, there is no way of knowing whether a health problem is a natural result of aging or a result of environmental conditions Age, Cohort, and Time of Measurement • Three fa▯tors that joi▯tly i▯flue▯▯e the i▯di▯idual’s perfor▯a▯▯e o▯ a gi▯e▯ psy▯hologi▯al measure at any point in life • Age is an objectively determined measure of how many years (and/or months or days) a person has lived up to the present moment • Cohort is the ter▯ ▯e use to des▯ri▯e the year ▯or period▯ of a perso▯’s ▯irth • Time of measurement tells us the year or period in which a person is tested o Issues of these fa▯tors: ▯e do▯’t k▯o▯ ▯hether a▯ 80-year-old perso▯’s performance reflects aging or the circumstances associated with growing up in the 1930s  descriptive research designs would not help figure this out • Cohort effects refer to the social, historical, and cultural influences that affect people during a particular period of time o Ex. The baby boomers were thought to have become their rebellious selves because their parents were so permissive in raising them • Social historical, and cultural influences that are presently affecting people are called time-of-measurement effects  also normative history-graded influences that affect many people who are alive at the same time Longitudinal Designs find more resources at oneclass.com
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-4 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit