Bell and Shils
1) Compare E.P Thompson and James Burke on the subject of Industrial revolution.
• Overall, he is a socialist so he thought it was negative (the means was not
good, the focus was making money, child labor should not allowed, low
• Connection between Thompson and Marxist?
• Both believed people are being exploited
2) What does Shils means by vertical and horizontal integrated?
• Differs amongst society
• Vertical –must have authority and status order (modern)
• Differs amongst society, connected from the center by paying taxes and
religion, poorly integrated, private
• Integrated in a hierarchy of power
• Horizontalsmall portions (elites it’s the church, military)
• Now in modernity, mass communication
• Authority/ traditional
• Now the authoritative government is getting involved in smaller
3) What, according to Bell, is the significance of mass production, marketing and
installment buying for modernity?
• Survival – new method o