Study Guides (247,998)
United States (123,267)
Boston College (3,492)
Philosophy (239)
PHIL 1070 (72)
All (45)

COMPLETE Philosophy of the Person I Notes: got 90% in the course!

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Department
Philosophy
Course
PHIL 1070
Professor
All Professors
Semester
Fall

Description
Alex Root November 20, 2012 Philosophy of the person I TREATISE ON MAN (QQ[75]-102) Question 77: OF THOSE THINGS WHICH BELONG TO THE POWERS OF THE SOUL IN GENERAL • Aquinas looks at those things which belong to the soul, eight points of inquiry: • What is the essence of the soul? What is the nature of power in the soul? • The essence of the soul is its power. o Objection 1: It would seem that the essence of the soul is its power. ForAugustine says (De Trin. ix, 4), that "mind, knowledge, and love are in the soul substantially, or, which is the same thing, essentially": and (De Trin. x, 11), that "memory, understanding, and will are one life, one mind, one essence." • There are not multiple powers of the soul. o Objection 1: It would seem that there are not several powers of the soul. For the intellectual soul approaches nearest to the likeness of God. But in God there is one simple power: and therefore also in the intellectual soul. • There is no order between the powers of the soul. o Objection 1: It would seem that there is no order among the powers of the soul. For in those things which come under one division, there is no before and after, but all are naturally simultaneous. But the powers of the soul are contradistinguished from one another. Therefore there is no order among them. Question 79: OF THE INTELLECTUAL POWERS • The next question concerns the intellectual powers, thirteen questions of inquiry • What is intellect? Where does it come from? Is it a power? Are there different “parts” to intellect” (i.e. memory, reason conscience..) • Aquinas is suggesting that the soul is part of the essence of the being (of man) o Objection 1: It would seem that the intellect is not a power of the soul, but the essence of the soul. For the intellect seems to be the same as the mind. Now the mind is not a power of the soul, but the essence; forAugustine says (De Trin. ix, 2): "Mind and spirit are not relative things, but denominate the essence." Therefore the intellect is the essence of the soul. • Soul’s powers are unified in the essence of the soul. • Objection 2: Further, different genera of the soul's powers are not united in some one power, but only in the essence of the sou
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1070

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit