AS 101 LIGHT LECTURE CONTINUED: FRIDAY 10-
Learning from Light:
• Electrical Potential Energies in atoms are quantitized.
• Only certain values are allowed
• The set of permitted values is different for each atom like a fingerprint.
Gravitational PE = MGH
• Electrons are usually in low energy areas
• Electrons fall from state of high electrical PE ▯to low EPE.
• When electrons fall – they emit photons of light.
Absorption Spectrum Vs. Emission Spectrum:
An emission spectrum indicates the frequencies of emitted photons as electrons
within the atoms return to their 'ground' states, an absorption spectrum record the
absorption of electromagnetic radiation as photons of specific energies, that p