Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 341
Professor
Timothy Tran
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
Homework #2: Make a differential diagnosis of "Mrs. Simon"
I would determine a diagnosis of Mrs. Simon’s situation based on Physical exam, Lab tests,
Psychiatric evaluation and DSM-5.
- With the Physical exam, the doctor might do a physical exam and ask questions about her
health. In some cases, depression may be linked to an underlying physical health
problem. Therefore, I think diagnosis based on physical exam might be a good choice get
to know the cause of her depression.
- For the lab tests, the doctor may do a blood test called a complete blood count or tests
your thyroid to make sure it is functioning property. Since I think people with depress
having a hard time to sleep and eat in a healthy way. Knowing that lack of sleep or
having unhealthy meal can cause depression. And since Mrs. Simon had a hard time of
sleep and did not have a long sleep at night.
- Based on the psychiatric evaluation, the psychologists or psychiatrics will ask the patients
about their symptoms, thoughts, feelings and behavior patterns, and the patients may be
asked to fill out a questionnaire to help answer these questions. Having the clients fill out
these questionnaires, it helps the health professional classifying the clients’ symptom.
- Last but not least, the psychologists or psychiatrics may use the criteria for depression
listed in the Diagnosis and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) which is
published by the American Psychiatric Association.
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version