PSYCH 10000 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Binge Eating Disorder, Abraham Maslow, Bulimia Nervosa

196 views53 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 11: motivation: motivation is a dynamic concept used to describe the processes directing behavior. Incentive: external stimuli or rewards that motivate behavior although they do not relate directly to biological needs. Instinct: preprogrammed (inborn) tendencies that are essential for the survival of a species: homeostasis: constancy of equilibrium of the internal conditions of the body. It was suggested that the productivity gain occurred as a result of the motivational effect on the workers of the interest being shown in them: this effect was observed for minute increases in illumination. Thus the term is used to identify any type of short-lived increase in productivity. (source: http://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/hawthorne_effect: the (cid:862)hawthorne effect(cid:863, when knowledge that one is being observed and in an experiment, by itself, results in dramatic changes in behavior. I can distinguish between intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. I have reviewed on my o(cid:449)(cid:374) the (cid:862)(cid:272)halle(cid:374)ge topi(cid:272)(cid:863): ho(cid:449) does the p(cid:396)ese(cid:374)(cid:272)e of othe(cid:396)s.