SOP-3004 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Stanford Prison Experiment, Cognitive Dissonance, Overjustification Effect

71 views3 pages
9 Feb 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chapter 4 learning objectives: define what an attitude is and describe the three components of an attitude. Attitude favorable or unfavorable evaluative reactions toward someone or something. Cognition (thoughts: describe the circumstances under which attitudes predict behaviors. It is easier to predict behavior when you know someone"s intentions. Intentions come from: attitudes, subjective norms, and perceived behavioral control. E. g. , i like physical fitness (attitude) + my neighbors jog frequently (subjective norms) + i could easily do it (perceived control) i"ll start this week (intention) behavior: discuss the power of roles to change our attitudes. Stanford prison experiment and degradation of prisoners at abu ghraib. Role a set of norms that defines how people in a given position ought to behave. The roles that we play can change our attitude. E. g. , stanford prison experiment guards and prisoners quickly absorbed their roles (guards became aggressive and power happy; prisoners became rebellious or submit)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers