CM-UY 1004 Study Guide - Quiz Guide: Chemical Formula, Ionic Bonding, Structural Formula

136 views2 pages
11 Aug 2016
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Half-lives can range from milliseconds to billions of years: the energy levels of electrons, atoms are mainly empty space. A. i. 1. a. electrons are so distant from atomic nuclei, that even when atoms come together, it is only the electrons that interact with each other: energy is defined as the capacity to cause change or do work. The two main forms of energy are kinetic and potential energy. Potential energy is energy due to location. B. i. 1. b. electrons possess potential energy due to their location away from the nucleus of an atom. The negatively charged electron of an atom is attracted to the positively charged nucleus of an atom: electrons can be found in different electron shells. Each electron shell has its own average distance and energy level. C. i. 1. b. the further away a shell is from the nucleus, the more potential energy its electrons have. The formation and function of molecules depends on chemical bonding between atoms a. i. 1.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers