SOCY 101 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Impression Management, Hidden Curriculum, Norm (Social)

98 views6 pages
29 Aug 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Socialization is the process by which we learn what is expected of us and how to behave accordingly. It"s not just when we"re little, it"s all the time, an ongoing process. Social control the outcome of the process of internalization of norms via self control. Student, daughter, smart, gamecock, dancer, friendly, granddaughter, spanish. Speaker, roommate, hallmate, female, teenager, american, trilingual, new yorker. Self the unique set of traits, behaviors, and attitudes that distinguish one person from another. Cooley looking glass self 1) i imagine how i appear to others 2) i imagine their evaluation of that appearance 3) i develop some sort of self feeling about that. Ex) falling, imagining someone"s reaction, feeling like a klutz. Agents of socialization those individuals, groups or institutions that pass on social expectations. Some social institutions media, religion, education, religion, family, law, work, education. Age demographic is important with knowing how to act.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers