Psychology
Course
PSYC 110
Professor
Dr.Steven Del Chiaro
Semester
Fall

Description
Abnormal Psychology Study Guide Exam 2 Chapter 6 1. Somatic Disorders a. Soma = body b. Exaggerates slightest physical symptom c. Overly occupied with health or bodily symptoms d. Fall upon impairment and abnormal 2. Hypochondriasis a. Symptoms i. Several anxiety is focused on the possibility of having a serious disease ii. Seems so real that reassurance from doctors do not help iii. Anxiety or fear that one has a serious disease b. Statistics i. Between 1% to 14% of medical patients are diagnosed with hypochondriasis ii. Median prevalence rate is 6.7% iii. Spread fairly evenly across various phases of adulthood c. Causes i. Thoughts, emotional, social contributions ii. Restricted concept of health iii. Overreaction of stress iv. Happens after stress-related event v. Act of focusing increases arousal and makes physical sensation seem more intense than they really are d. Treatment i. Relatively little is known about treating ii. Uncover unconscious conflicts through psychodynamic psychotherapy iii. Reassurance and education seems to be effective iv. Drugs like antidepressants 3. Difference between Hypochondriasis and Illness Phobia a. Individuals who fear DEVELOPING a disease and avoid situations they associate with contagion = Illness phobia b. Hypochondriasis = People who are anxious that they HAVE the disease 4. Koro a. Belief accompanied by severe anxiety and sometimes panic, that the genitals are retracting into the abdomen. b. Victims of this disorder are Chinese male. Also reported in females. c. Typical sufferers are guilty about excessive masturbation, unsatisfactory intercourse or promiscuity. 5. Dhat a. Culture-specific disorder b. Anxious concern about losing semen, something that obviously occurs during sexual activity. c. Dizziness, weakness, fatigue. = from semen loss. 6. Malingering a. occurs when a person acts sick for ulterior motives such as collecting insurance money or escaping from a bad situation at home or school. 7. Dissociative Disorders a. Mild sensations that people experience occasionally: slight alternations, detachments, in consciousness or identity. b. Experiences are so intense and extreme that they lose their identity entirely and assume a new one c. They lose their memory or sense of reality and unable to function 8. Conversion Disorders a. Physical functioning such as paralysis, blindness, or difficulty speaking without any physical or organic pathology to account for the malfunction. i. Not intentionally produced or feigned ii. Cannot be fully explained by a general medical condition iii. Causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, other areas of functioning. iv. Not limited to pain or sexual dysfunction. 9. Factitous Disorder a. Also faking. b. Voluntary control but no obvious reason for voluntarily producing the symptoms, possibly to assume the sick role and receive increased attention. c. Example: Mom making her child sick to receive attention and pity. i. Factitious disorder by proxy – when an individual deliberately makes someone else sick. Atypical form of child abuse. 10. Malingering Disorder i. (faking) ii. Trying to get out of something, such as work or legal difficulties, attempting to gain something, such as financial settlement. iii. Are fully aware of what they are doing and are clearly attempting to manipulate others to gain a desired end. b. Difference: Conversion symptoms have stress 11. Body Dysmorphic Disorder a. Symptoms i. Preoccupation with an imagined defect in appearance. If slight physical anomaly is present, person’s concern is marked excessive. ii. Causes significant distress/impairment in social, occupational, or other. iii. Excessive grooming and skin picking iv. Avoid mirrors to an almost phobic extent b. What patients do to alleviate it i. Excessive tanning ii. Excessive grooming iii. Skin picking iv. Suicide v. Housebound vi. Manipulate body themselves to get desired look vii. Plastic surgery 12. Dissociative Amnesia a. Symptoms i. Generalized amnesia – unable to remember anything, including who they are ii. Happens around traumatic event. Psychogenetic memory loss. iii. Localized/selective amnesia – failure to recall specific events, usually traumatic, that occur during a specific period. b. Statistics i. Mostly in women 13. Dissociative Fugue a. Symptoms i. Memory loss revolves around a specific incident – an unexpected trip. ii. Person will take off and have no idea how they got there, who they are, and make an identity for themselves. iii. Mostly males. 14. Dissociative Trance Disorder a. Symptoms i. Confusion about personal identity or assumption of new identity ii. Sudden changes in personality. iii. Dissociative trance disorder (DTD) – trance syndroms that are referred to colloquially as “falling out”. Condition when the state is undesirable and considered pathological by members of the culture (related to spirits) 1. Occurs different ways in cultures 2. Possession trance is not accepted as normal part of culture 15. Dissociative Identity Disorder a. Symptoms i. Alters – different identities or personality in DID ii. Switch – transition from one personality to another iii. Extreme type of PTSD, how humans learn to survive iv. Highly suggestible fantasy life b. Characteristics i. “host” identity – the person who becomes the patient and asks for treatment 1. Seeks treatment is seldom the original personality of the person. 2. Usually develops later. ii. Can DID Be faked? 1. Difficult to answer this question 2. It is possible that alters are created in response to leading questions from therapists or while the person is in a hypnotic state iii. Usually have 15 identities c. Statistics i. Develops in childhood, doesn’t develop after age 9. ii. About 5% in USA have DID iii. High rates of combordity iv. Female to male ratio: 9:1 d. Causes i. Traumatic childhood that requires dissociating from reality to survive ii. abuse e. Treatment i. Reingration of identities, same as PTSD. ii. Exposure therapy iii. Little is known about DID. 16. Depersonalization Disorder a. Symptoms i. Persistent or recurrent experiences of feeling detached from, and as if one is an outside observer of, one’s mental processes or body ii. During depersonalization experience, reality testing remains intact iii. Causes significant distress or impairment in social, occupational. Chapter 7 Mood Disorders and Suicide 1. Major Depressive Episode a. Symptoms i. Most commonly diagnosed and most severe depression ii. An extremely depressed mood state that lasts at least 2 weeks iii. Includes cognitive symptoms (feelings of worthlessness and indecisiveness) iv. Disturbed physical functions (altered sleeping patterns, change in appetite and weight) v. General loss of interest in things vi. Loss of ability to experience any pleasure in life = Anhedonia b. Major depressive disorder, recurrent = two or more major depressive episodes occurred and were separated by at least 2 months during which the individual was not depressed 2. Mania a. Symptoms i. Find extreme pleasure in every activity ii. Compares daily experience of mania to a continuous sexual orgasm iii. Extraordinarily active (hyperactive) iv. Require little sleep v. Develop grandiose plans (believing they can accomplish anything) vi. Speech is rapid and may become incoherent vii. “flight of ideas” = Excessive speech at a rapid rate that involves fragmented or unrelated ideas viii. Lasts 1 episode. Less if episode is severe enough to require hospitalization. 3. Dysphoric Manic Episode / Mixed Manic Episode a. Individual experience manic symptoms but feel somewhat depressed or anxious at the same time. b. Feels like can’t control manic episode but will go away without treatment and takes a while 4. Bipolar II Disorder a. Major depressive episodes alternate with hypomanic episodes rather than full manic episodes b. Hypomanic episodes are less severe c. Statistics i. Median age: between 19 and 22 5. Bipolar I Disorder a. Same but individual experiences a full manic episode. b. Statistics i. Average age: 18 years old ii. Rare to develop after age 40 c. Treatment i. Ongoing drug regiments that prevent recurrence of episodes ii. Suicide is very common. 17% for bipolar I and 24% for bipolar II 6. Specifiers a. Other symptoms that someone is experiencing b. May or may not accompany a mood disorder c. 6 basic types: i. Atypical Features Specifier 1. People with depressive episodes and dysthymia (no manic episodes) consistently oversleep and overeat during depressive episodes and gain weight. 2. Can have pleasure/interest to some things 3. Associated with more women and earlier age of onset. 4. More suicide attempts 5. Higher rate of comorbid disorders ii. Melancholic Features Specifier 1. People with major depressive episode, does not apply to dysthymia 2. More severe somatic symptoms 3. Early-morning awakenings 4. Weight loss 5. Los of libido (sex drive) 6. Excessive or inappropriate guilt 7. Anhedonia (diminished interest or pleasure in activities) iii. Chronic Features Specifier 1. Applies to people with major depressive episode for at least 2 years. Dysthymic disorder is not considered here. 2. Dsythymia – can take a break for 1 month (on/off) iv. Catatonic Features Specifier 1. People with major depressive episodes and manic episodes. Rare in mania. 2. An absence of movement (a stuporous state) 3. Catalepsy – muscles are waxy and semi rigid. 4. Excessive but random or purposeless movements 5. More commonly associated with schizophrenia. v. Psychotic Features Specifier 1. People with major depressive/manic episodes experience psychotic symptoms 2. Hallucinations – seeing or hearing things that aren’t there 3. Delusions – strongly held but inaccurate beliefs 4. Somatic delusions – believing that their bodies are rotting internally and deteriorating into nothingness vi. Postpartum Onset Specifier 1. Both major depressive and manic episodes 2. 13% of all women giving birth 3. During postpartum period (4-week period after childbirth), psychotic depressive or manic episodes might happen. 4. 15% of women meet MDE after childbirth 5. 10% of women after childbirth and 5% also in men 7. Dysthymic disorder a. Symptoms i. Shares many symptoms of major depressive disorder ii. Symptoms are somewhat milder but remain unchanged over long periods of times. iii. 20-30 years iv. Persistently depressed mood that continues at least 2 years and patient cannot be symptom free for at least 2 months at a time. 8. Cyclothymic disorder a. Milder and chronic version of bipolar disorder i. Symptoms 1. Chronic alternation of mood elevation and depression 2. Does not reach severity of manic or major depressive episodes 3. Lasts for at least 2 years 4. Alternate between the kinds of mile depressive symptoms ii. Statistics 1. 60% female 2. Age of onset is young: 12 to 14 years old 3. Disorder is not often recognized because they are thought to be high-strung, explosive, moody, or hyperactive. 9. Learned Helplessness a. People become anxious and depressed when they decide that they have no control over the stress in their lives Chapter 8 Eating and Sleeping Disorders 1. Major Types of Eating Disorders a. Bulimia Nervosa i. Binges – Out of control eating episodes ii. Followed by self-induced vomiting, excessive use of laxatives, or other attempts to purge the food. b. Anorexia Nervosa i. Person eats nothing beyond minimal amounts of food, so body weight sometimes drops dangerously. 2. Bulimia Nervosa a. Symptoms i. Eating a large amount of food than other people would eat under similar circumstances. ii. Sense of lack of control over eating during the episode iii. Recurrent compensatory behavior to prevent weight gain: self-induced vomiting, misuse of laxatives, fasting, excessive exercise. iv. Occurs at least twice a week for 3 months b. Types i. Purging type: person regularly engage in self-induced vomiting or miseuse of laxatives, diuretics, or enemas ii. Nonpurging type: person used other inappropriate compensatory behaviors: fasting, exercise. c. Medical Consequences i. Salivary Gland Enlargement – caused by repeating vomiting, gives the face a chubby appearance ii. Eroded dental enamel iii. Electrolyte imbalance – chemical balance of bodily fluids, including sodium and potassium levels are imbalanced 1. If left untreated: cardiac arrthythmia (disrupted heartbeat), seizures, and renal (kidney) failure = ALL FATAL. 2. Normalization of eating habits will reverse the imbalance. iv. Intestinal problems from laxative abuse are serious. Include severe constipation or permanent colon damage. v. Marked calluses on their fingers or back of their hands from friction of contact with teeth and throat. d. Associated Psychological Disorders i. Anxiety and mood disorders ii. Social phobia or generalized anxiety disorder iii. Substance use disorders 3. Anorexia Nervosa a. Symptoms i. Refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height ii. Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though underweight iii. Disturbance in the way in which one’s body weight/shape is experienced, undue influence of body weight of shape on self-evaluation, or denial of the seriousness of the current low body weight iv. Amenorrhea – absence of at least 3 consecutive menstrual cycles b. Types i. Restricting type – person does not regularly engage in binge eating or purging behavior ii. Binge-eating/purging type – person regularly engage in binge eating or purging behavior c. Medical Consequences i. Amenorrhea - Cessation of menstruation ii. Dry skin iii. Brittle hair or nails iv. Sensitivity to or intolerance of cold temperatures v. Lanugo – downy hair on the limbs and cheeks vi. Cardiovascular problems: low blood pressure and heart rate vii. Electrolyte imbalance and resulting cardiac and kidney problems d. Associated Psychological Disorders i. Anxiety disorders ii. Mood disorders
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 110

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit