PSIO 201 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Cardiac Muscle, Adrenergic, Endocrine System

41 views20 pages

Document Summary

Information goes to the brain and spinal cord via cranial and spinal nerves b. Integrates sensory information by analyzing and storing it: motor function (efferent neurons) c. i. Information from the brain and spinal cord is sent out to muscles or glands (effectors) Involved in the generation and interpretation of electrical signals a. i. 2. Processes information: should the information go forward: axon c. i. Propagate information to output site: synapses d. i. Transmit information to other parts of the nervous system. Relatively steady voltage across the membrane: graded voltage changes occur in response to sensory stimuli, action potentials are all or none . Influences activity of visceral organs and glands d. i. Interpretation of sensory information based on path and destination in the brain: learning new skills? e. i. Plasticity: anatomical changes in the brain; new synapses form and new pattern of activity develops e. ii. 2 central hemispheres a. i. 1. right music, face recognition, visual imagery, spatial abilities a. i. 2.