BILD 3 Study Guide - Final Guide: Phylogenetic Diversity, Nuclear Membrane, Bild

302 views6 pages

Document Summary

Learning objectives for bild 3, spring 2016 dr. sarah stockwell. Be able to give an example of organisms found in each. Understand the evolutionary relationships between the 3 domains: eukarya a. i. Have eukaryotic cells with internal membrane bound structures a. ii. Have tremendous phylogenetic diversity and are mostly unicellular a. iii. Have peptidoglycan in cell walls while archaea/eukarya do not b. iii. Only ones that do not have introns in genes: archaea c. i. Extremophiles (adapted to life in extreme environments) c. ii. Example: plant cells: understand the phylogenetic relationships between bacteria, archaea, animals, plants and. Be able to interpret a phylogenetic tree to explain patterns of relationships between these groups: archaea are more closely related to eukarya than to bacteria, animals and fungi are more closely related than plants. Prokaryotes (bacteria + archaea): describe traits uniting the bacteria. Understand the important ecological roles these organisms play. List cellular traits shared by all eukaryotes but not by bacteria or archaea. a. i.