MCB 244 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Lamina Lucida, Stratum Corneum, Stratum Basale

72 views3 pages

Document Summary

Polarity: apical surface- exposed to outside environment/ internal body space (up, basal surface- epithelium attached to connective tissue (down) Attachment to basement membrane: 3 layers- lamina lucida, lamina densa, reticular lamina. Avascularity: nutrients gotten from apical or basal surface. High regeneration capacity: bc of stem cells in basal cell layer iii. iv. v. vi. Hemangiomas: capillary - bring red nodules, goes away in childhood, cavernous- larger blood vessels, may stay, diseases i. ii. Vitiligo - loss of melanocytes: dermis (dense irregular, location and contains i. ii. iii. iv. v. Blood vessels, sweat glands, hair follicles, nail roots, sensory nerve endings, arrector pilli. 2 layers: papillary- superficial, reticular - deeper, major portions of dermis, hypodermis (not considered part of integumentary sys, contains i. ii. iii. Describe the 4 layers (strata) of the epidermis in thin skin and compare/ contrast that with 5 layers in thick skin: thick, hands and feet.