OBHR 3310 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: High-Context And Low-Context Cultures, Reward System

61 views2 pages
OBHR 3310.004
Exam 3: Culture
Question 1: Culture
There are many differences between low context culture and high context culture. In a low
context culture, I did not have to worry much about the presentation. Low context emphasizes a lot on
the contract and what is written. For example, if I were to tell someone they are transferred to a new
department, I could show them their transfer contract and the basic facts such as their wage and title.
However, if I were to move to a high context culture, I would definitely have to present myself
differently. Since the situation is important in these type of cultures, I would have to take some classes
about the culture and make sure I am properly presentable. Next, I would have to be aware of situation
if I were to perform a managing responsibility. An example would be taking them out to a great
restaurant, properly wining and dining them before handing them the transfer contract. Both cultures
are very different, therefore management style change is definitely needed.
Question 2: Leading & Managing Teams
I work as an officer Orientation Team Mentor and we are in the process of hiring new OTMs. The
first issue we had was to update the interview questions. Since we had time during this phase, the best
ethod was to ollaoate. We oduted offie eetigs ad we asked how a we all get what we
wat.
Currently, we are now in the choosing process for next summer, but we only have a certain
number of spots available. The best method for managing conflict is to accommodate. Since most of us
have conflicting ideas of who to hire, we must group the OTMs that we all want to hire and hire them.
But after, we will still need more OTMs, therefore some officers might need to accommodate for the
other officers if they want to a hire a certain person. It is the fastest and best way to solve this problem
since avoiding will result in nothing and compromising will be unethical since you will be hiring the
people for the wrong reasons.
Question 3: Leading & Managing Teams 2
Currently, I am part of the Orientation Team Mentor. Our team is consisted of seven officers and
50 regular mentors. According to Hackman, there are six key points for an effective team. OTM
accomplishes all six points. We have multiple of tasks that are challenging, but yet realistic. The team is
very diverse and each mentor is picked from their commendable interpersonal skills. The officers create
a binder which outlines each officers and mentors duty, therefore tasks are clear. Structure within the
team, with mentors on the bottom, XOTMs in the middle and SOTMs on the top, is well made. The team
has a great support of information from advisors, professors and Deans, and amazing coaching from the
supervisors of the program, who have had years of experiences within orientations. The ending grade
for my team would be a B.
A way to improve team effectiveness would be implementing a better reward system. If the
supervisors would give raises or free materials based on performance, the team would be more inclined
to improve.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

There are many differences between low context culture and high context culture. In a low context culture, i did not have to worry much about the presentation. Low context emphasizes a lot on the contract and what is written. For example, if i were to tell someone they are transferred to a new department, i could show them their transfer contract and the basic facts such as their wage and title. However, if i were to move to a high context culture, i would definitely have to present myself differently. Since the situation is important in these type of cultures, i would have to take some classes about the culture and make sure i am properly presentable. Next, i would have to be aware of situation if i were to perform a managing responsibility. An example would be taking them out to a great restaurant, properly wining and dining them before handing them the transfer contract.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers