BSCI 1511 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Sister Chromatids, Gamete, Dystonia

75 views7 pages

Document Summary

Thermoregulation: balancing heat loss and gain: insulation a. i. Can often be adjusted to thermoregulate can be rapid or seasonal a. ii. 1. a. ii. 2. Seasonal (acclimatization): changes in the composition of: balancing heat loss and gain: circulatory adaptations the insulating layer or layers b. i. Circulatory adaptations = adaptations that regulate the extent of blood flow near the body surface or that trap heat w/in the body core b. i. 1. Vasodilation (blood vessels expand) in skin increases transfer of body heat to environment through conduction, convection, and radiation b. i. 1. a. Vasoconstriction (blood vessels contract) in skin decreases transfer of body heat to the environment through conduction, convection, and radiation b. i. 2. a. Countercurrent exchange = transfer of heat (or solutes) between fluids that are flowing in opposite directions b. ii. 1. Allows for heat exchange between arteries and veins that are traveling in opposite directions: balancing heat loss and gain: evaporative cooling c. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers