PSYC 305 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2: Flat Earth, Teleology, Homo Economicus

64 views11 pages
[Author name]
PSYCHOLOGY 305
CHAPTER 2 THE EARLY GREEK PHILOSOPHERS
These notes are based on the lectures, they do not reflect my personal beliefs or opinion.
The Ancient World
People are always trying to make sense of the world, the following are early attempts to make sense of like
Animism: Believing that things in nature have a soul, that all things are alive.
Anthropomorphism: projection of human characteristics onto nature
Magic: Haig soe sot of itual to ake ou feel like ou hae soe otol he ou dot. Like a ai dae o a
lucky pencil.
Animate vs inanimate: Spirits resided in everyone and everything. Vital spirits could leave the body and return:
- Dreaming
- Thinking of someone after their death
- Reification (bringing up something in your mind makes it real)
Early Religion (5
th
& 6
th
century BCE)
People followed gods that seemed more like them. Higher class people associated with gods on Mount Olympus
Olympian gods
Homeric poems
Uninterested in humans
Pursuit of glory through noble deeds
Personified orderliness,rationality, valued intelligence
Similar to the beliefs of the Greek nobility.
Dionysus: god of wine, sex
Working class
Seeking pleasure
Body was a punishment
Soul longing for liberation, eventual ascension with the gods
Belief in transmigration of the soul, soul seeking to escape earthly existence and enter into a heavenly state
This is a big part of the Judeo-Christian beliefs. Souls go from this world to the next and the next world depends on this one.
Early Philosophers
Philosophy (love of knowledge + wisdom) : Began with natural explanations (logos) replacing supernatural explanations
(mythos).
Cosmology: The explanation of origin, structure, and processes governing the universe (cosmos).The universe was orderly
and thus, in principle, explainable.
Mythology: a collection of myths, especially one belonging to a particular religious or cultural tradition
Pre-Socratic - Physis: Nature of everything
Post-Socratic - Influenced by the teachings of Socrates; Stimulating critical thinking
Physis: The one substance or element from which everything is derived
Thales (~625 547 BCE): First philosopher
Geometric principles could be extended to the universe
Welcomed criticism and critical tradition (telling students to improve his teachings).
Physis = water since water is the one common denominator to everything. Why? We need it for survival & it has different
forms (solid, liquid, gas). So he thought that everything was made of it. He also believed that the flat earth sat in a pool of
water and thus, a sphere around us containing water. Water is vital.
(January 18 2018)
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 11 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
[Author name]
PSYCHOLOGY 305
These notes are based on the lectures, they do not reflect my personal beliefs or opinion.
Heraclitus
Physis is fire because it transforms, it can change anything
Nature is in a constant state of change.
Wold is alas eoig – ee is
Is anything real if it is always in a state of change?
Everything exists between opposites
It is ipossile to step ito the sae ie tie Watefield, , p.4 . Whe steppig i a ie the peso ad the
water is changed and so you can never step in the same river twice.
Ho a soethig e ko if it is ostatl hagig?
Anaximander
Physis was a substance that had the capability ofbecoming anything
Called the oudless o the idefiite.
He suggests something broader that can become anything
He believed that the world was surrounded by water.
He also had a strange idea about evolution, he believed that life came from the water and that we came from fish. He
thought of fish because since they are born they are self-suffiiet ad dot need caregivers.
This opened a few interesting questions, around the idea of IS ANYTHING PERMANENT? Are we able to get an accurate
interpretation from our senses? How reliable are the senses?
Senses provide information about a changing world. Permanence? Reliability?
Opens up to two (early) schools of thought:
o Rationalism
o Empiricism
Our senses might not be reliable because there are many interpretations.
Maybe the only thing that is real is what is in our mind
The most rational thing is MATH
Early Rationalism Parmenides (~515 460 BCE)
(view that is opposite to Heraclitus)
• All thigs ae ostat; hage is a illusio
One reality finite, uniform, motionless, and fixed
Knowledge comes only through reason (rationalism)
Sensory experience is not real, not to be trusted. hat I“ aot e i otio
Reification (Thinking something in your mind makes it real)
Early Rationalism Zenos of Elea (~495 430 BCE)
• )eos paadoes: The assertion that in order for an object to pass from point A to point B it must first
traverse half the distance between those two points, and then half of the remaining distance, and so forth.
Because this process must occur an infinite number of times, Zeno concluded that an object could logically
never reach point B. (MOTION IS AN ILLUSION)
**If e dot udestad )eos paado just ko that the thik oeet is a illusio.
Pythagoras (~580 500 BCE) Influence of Mathematics
According to Pythagoras, you can explain the whole world with logic and mathematics.
The perfect triangle is a template that might not exist in nature ut thats ok eause pefetio is ol i the
mathematical world.
Basis of uiese logos ~ logi is foud i ues ad ueial elatios atio ~ atioalit
For example the Pythagorean Theorem only applies to a square triangle.
Unlock document

[Author name]
PSYCHOLOGY 305
He explained that the body needs an equilibrium and medical attempts were to restore the equilibrium.
According to him, the MIND is the most important.
The Pythagoreans assumed a Dualistic universe: one part abstract, permanent, and intellectually knowable (Rational
like that proposed by Parmenides) the other Empirical, changing and known through the senses.
Mind/Body Dualism:
Flesh: Body
Reasoning: Function of the soul that is believed to be immortal
Empirical
• Epeiees of the flesh seses ee ifeioto experiences in the mind
Sensory experiences interfere with knowledge
Rational
• ‘easo ad atioality were ways to cleanse the soul
They viewed any kind of sensory experience as something that interfered with knowledge (opposite to Heraclitus). They
abstained from many physical pleasures and believed that everything in nature was interrelated like in a world of
mathematics. The abstract world is better in their minds then the physical world.
- This school of thought is very similar to the Dionysiac - Orphic religion, both view body as a prison for the soul etc.
Cosmology- Understanding the universe
Empedocles
Instead of 1 Physis, he suggests four elements make up the world (and humans) earth, fire, air, and water.
Empedocles: Perception
light colours = fire in eye
dark colours = water
smell = air in nostrils
Four elements are found in the blood
- Objects in the world throw off tiny copies of themselves alled eaatios o eidola
- Enter the blood through pores in the body, the eidola combine with elements like themselves.
- He thinks that perception comes from the
heart.
Two causal powers in the universe: love and strife
He states that if all we had as a power is love then
everything would come together and we would
not be able to proceed. If we only had strife then
everything would be apart. If you have both
opposing forces, you can sustain life.
- Health happens when the four elements
of the body are in equilibrium.
Anaxagoras
Ifiite ue of eleets o seeds
from which all things were created. (not talking of
atos ut seeds…
Seeds do not exist in isolation, they never disappear just recombine to be something else.
Unlock document

Document Summary

Vital spirits could leave the body and return: Reification (bringing up something in your mind makes it real) th th. & 6 century bce: people followed gods that seemed more like them. Higher class people associated with gods on mount olympus. Olympian gods: homeric poems, uninterested in humans, pursuit of glory through noble deeds, personified orderliness, rationality, valued intelligence, similar to the beliefs of the greek nobility. Souls go from this world to the next and the next world depends on this one. Philosophy (love of knowledge + wisdom) : began with natural explanations (logos) replacing supernatural explanations (mythos). Cosmology: the explanation of origin, structure, and processes governing the universe (cosmos). The universe was orderly and thus, in principle, explainable. Mythology: a collection of myths, especially one belonging to a particular religious or cultural tradition. Post-socratic - influenced by the teachings of socrates; stimulating critical thinking. Physis: the one substance or element from which everything is derived.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers