SOCI 375 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2: Heterosexuality, Premarital Sex, Arraignment

83 views2 pages
30 Sep 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

After reading this chapter, i am unsure of my definition of heterosexuality. I used to consider being heterosexual as feeling attraction only to those who identified as members of the opposite sex. However, i feel like this is an oversimplified definition of heterosexuality, and is inconsiderate of trans/queer individuals who may identify with different, both or no genders. Second-wave feminists examine heterosexuality as a normalized power arraignment which limits women and empowers men/their control over women. The heterosexual imaginary is an illusory relationship we as individuals have towards real conditions of existence. Rather than looking for the truth, which can cause discomfort, we romanticize or ignore specific aspects of reality. Heterosexuality is romanticized and considered sacred, something that cannot be cross-examined. It preserves the organization of society and ensures that as long as people follow heterosexual rules, everything will work out. using the heterosexual imaginary enforces us to understand heterosexuality as timeless, universal and objective.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers