PSYC-223 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Social Cognitive Theory, Tabula Rasa, Little Albert Experiment

17 views4 pages
17 Oct 2016
Department
Course
Professor
Children and their Development
Chapter1
History
-Plato and Aristotle: schools and parents must teach self-control (but not squash their initiative and curiosity with discipline)
Plato supported knowledge as innate (inclu. Courage, love etc.)-no learning necessary; Aristotle rooted knowledge in
perception (experience)
-Joh Loke taula rasa lak slate id is deeloped through reard ad puishet ad rela authorit ith aturit
-Rousseau supported innate knowledge (ie justice) that unfolds naturally as they grow (emphasized receptive parenting, rather
than discipline
-during the industrial revolution children were adults at age 5-7 and could work
-Darwinian theory also related: children who are better adapted survive to reproduce; baby biographies: systematic
observation of individual children paved the way for objective research
-Stanley Hall: generated child development theories (CD) based on age trends in beliefs and feelings; Alfred Binet IQ tests;
Freud and his ideas about childhood impacting adulthood; Watson emphasized the importance of reward/punishment
-applied developmental science: a new branch using research to promote healthy development- help vulnerable youth/infants
Theories:
-theory: an organized set of ideas to explain and predict development
-biological perspective: all development incl. personality are rooted in biology
Gesell maturational theory: child development reflects a prearranged plan within the body
Ethological theories: development from an evolutionary perspective (adaptive behaviours have survival value); learning occurs
ithi a ritial period: efore or after this period learig is diffiult or ipossile; Lorez’s hiks: iprit o the first thing
they see move, biologically programmed (may not be the mother)
-Psychodynamic perspective: development is determined by how well childhood conflicts are resolved (id- primitive instincts,
ego-the rational/practical appears at one year and channels the id in socially appropriate way, superego-internalized standard
of right and wrong)
-Psychosocial perspectives: development occurs through stages, with unique crisis, continuing into adulthood
-Learig perspetie: edorse taula rasa; Watso ased his researh o Palo’s lassial oditioig oditioed fear i
Little Albert); Skinner studied operant conditioning (reward/punishment)
Reinforcement: increases the likelihood of the behaviour by giving a reward (+) or stopping an unpleasant process (-)
Punishment: decreases the likelihood of a behaviour by creating a consequence; positive (ie shouting) or negative (no tv)
-though children learn by operant conditioning, learning also occurs without reward/punishment (ie imitation called
observational learning)
-social cognitive theory (Bandura, bobo doll): development is an attempt to understand the world, especially by operant
methods and imitation; gives children a sense of self efficacy: belief in their own ability and talents (ie if youth believes they are
good at hockey they will mimick Crosby)
-more likely to imitate someone they perceive as important, smart, talented
-cognitive developmental perspective: focuses on how children think and how this changes as they grow; natural desire to
understand the world
-contextual: development is influenced by environments which influence each other; culture: the people and institutions form
attitudes and behaviours which affect the group
Vogtsky: like an apprenticeship, the child is learning the methods of survival and their culture (ie the group values education)
Brofereer’s theor of eologial sstes: osists of iro,eso, eo, aro ad hroosstes
-the microsystem consists of immediate surroundings, where the child spends a lot
of time (ie daycare is influential)
-microsystems are connected to form the mesosystem
-exosystem: social settings not experienced first hand that still influence
development (mothers job part of your exosystem)
-macrosystem: the subculture and cultures In which the other levels are embedded
-systems all change over time in the chronosystem
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Plato and aristotle: schools and parents must teach self-control (but not squash their initiative and curiosity with discipline) )-no learning necessary; aristotle rooted knowledge in perception (experience) Joh(cid:374) lo(cid:272)ke (cid:862)ta(cid:271)ula rasa(cid:863) (cid:271)la(cid:374)k slate (cid:373)i(cid:374)d is de(cid:448)eloped through re(cid:449)ard a(cid:374)d pu(cid:374)ish(cid:373)e(cid:374)t a(cid:374)d rela(cid:454) authorit(cid:455) (cid:449)ith (cid:373)aturit(cid:455) Rousseau supported innate knowledge (ie justice) that unfolds naturally as they grow (emphasized receptive parenting, rather than discipline. During the industrial revolution children were adults at age 5-7 and could work. Darwinian theory also related: children who are better adapted survive to reproduce; baby biographies: systematic observation of individual children paved the way for objective research. Stanley hall: generated child development theories (cd) based on age trends in beliefs and feelings; alfred binet iq tests; Freud and his ideas about childhood impacting adulthood; watson emphasized the importance of reward/punishment. Applied developmental science: a new branch using research to promote healthy development- help vulnerable youth/infants. Theory: an organized set of ideas to explain and predict development.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers