“WE CAN REMEMBER IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE”
1. Philip K. Dick
2. Douglas Quail is a “miserable little salaries employee” (881). Who ‘wants mars’?
3. When he goes to acquire Martian memories, Rekall Inc. finds that he already has
the ones he’s looking for.
4. When Rekall Inc. is instructed to implant a childhood fantasy of Quail’s, the find
that isn’t a fantasy, either he’s important to the continued existence of humanity.
OBJECTIVITY VERSUS SUBJECTIVITY
5. P.881: “After all, an illusion, no matter how convincing, remained noting more
than all illusion. At least objectively, but subjectively quite the opposite entirely”.
6. This story evokes relationships between the unconscious identity and memory.
Quail’s memories as a government assassin have been technologically repressed.
His fantasies of being a covert agent on Mars are fully accounted for by his sense
that he’s missing part of himself.
7. ‘…Is more convincing than the real thing (882) because you don’t forget it, like
you do real memories of experience.
8. “Part of the package we offer you is such deep implantation of recall that nothing
is forgotten.” (882).
9. Is this how one would be able to differentiate fake from actual memory that it
would be weirdly detailed forever, where actual memories would get hazy?
10. Quail’s memory of his job on Mars is almost the same as his fantasy, described as
‘a rather easy extrafactual system”
1. For example, lots of guys want to go to Mars as a covert agent. He never
really wanted to go there but was assigned to it.
11. Is there a suggestion that a lot of guys do go there as a covert agent? Does the
government use its population more often than anyone else knows?
12. Quail has fulfilled his assignment as an assassin, which his government
recognizes must not be part of their public image:
13. “What you did is not part of our great while all protecting father image.” (889)
14. Governmentsponsored murderand what else?Is concealed from citizens.
“WE’VE GOT TO KILL YOU… AND RIGHT AWAY”
15. Another murder must be committed to conceal the first one.
16. Memoryreplacement is an agreedupon alternative, since it will remove all