PSYC 235 Chapter Notes - Chapter 5: Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attack, Panic Disorder

60 views15 pages

Document Summary

Week seven anxiety, trauma-related, & obsessive compulsive. Normal response to abnormal circumstances vs. abnormal response to normal circumstances. Anxiety is a very adaptive response to help us survive. Important to prepare for fight or running away to survive in dangerous situations: normal: trigger a healthy level of fear in a dangerous situation, abnormal: have a significant anxiety response in a non-dangerous situation. Psychologists work to teach people with anxiety to get used to their anxiety & understand how to manage it so it is available when needed in an abnormal situation. Helps understand all the components of a disorder & provides a basis to find therapy (cbt) Stress situations trigger anxiety (& sometimes panic) Thoughts i"(cid:373) goi(cid:374)g to die, something bad is going to happe(cid:374), i"(cid:373) goi(cid:374)g to get hurt, i"(cid:373) goi(cid:374)g to e(cid:373)(cid:271)arrass myself. Physical reactions experiences we have because of physiological arousal (sweaty palms, dizzy, nauseous)

Get access

Grade+
$40 USD/m
Billed monthly
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
10 Verified Answers