Spanish Unit 5

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Queen's University
Spanish Language and Literature
SPAN 112
Consuelo Kani

Span112 - Unit 5 - Lesson 9/10 ▯ Maggie Smith The Preterite Contrasted With the Perfect Preterite: this shows an action or event completed at a certain time in the past. Imperfect: shows an action or event taking place over a period of time in the past. No reference as to when it began or ended Preterite mp perfectt 1) Past actions or events 1) indicates a repeated or 4)Describes in the past or sets speaker views as completed habitual action the stage 2) sums up condition or state 2)past actions of evens in the 5) describes a mental, physical, viewed as a whole (an no longer process of happening with no or emotional state or condition in effect) reference to beginning or end in the past 3)Time & age in past 6) Used in Indirect discourse * Direct Discorse: Juan dijo: “Vengo mañana” * Indirect Discourse: Jean dijo que venía mañana. Whether Expressions Hace (mucho) frío Hace (mucho) calor Hace (much) viento Hace sol - the impersonal verbs llover - to rain (o > ue) and nevar - to snow (e > ie) are used in only 3rd person singular forms of all tenses, and in infinitive, present participle and the past participle. Ex. En Vancouver llueve mucho; Está lloviendo, no podemos salir; creo que va a nevar hoy - other words related to wheather are lluvia (rain) & niebla (fog) Ex. Hay niebla or no me gusta lluvia. Uses of Por and Para Por (A lot of Action) Para (Goal Orientated) Motion (through, along, by via) Destination in space Cause of motive or action Goal for a specific point in time Means, manner, unit of measure (by, per) Objective In exchange for In Order to Period of time during which an action takes place In Search of P.I.M.M.▯ ▯ ▯ ▯ ▯ ▯ ▯ ParaG.W.I.I. D.O. Pg 1 Span112 - Unit 5 - Lesson 9/10 ▯ Maggie Smith Hace...Meaning Ago - sentences in the preterite and sometimes the imperfect, Hace + period of time is equivelant to the english ago. When hace is placed at the beginning of the sentence, the construction is as follows: Hace + period of time + que + verb (preterite) Hace + dos años + que + la conocí This means ‘I met her two years ago’ an alternative construction is: La conocí hace dos años. - to find out how long ago something took place ask: “Cuánto tiempo hace que tú llegaste?” --> How long ago did you arrive? “Hace tres años que llegué.” --> I arrived three years ago. Possessive Pronouns Singuular Plurall Whhat t meeanns Masc. Fem. Masc Fem. Mine (el) mío (la) mía (los) míos (las) mías yours (fam.) (el) tuyo (la) tuya (los) tuyos (las) tuyas his, hers, yours (el) suyo (la) suya (los) suyos (las) suyas ours (el) nuestro (la) nuestra (los) nuestros (las) nuestras yours (fam.) (el) vuestro (la) vuestra (los) vuestros (las) vuestras yours, theirs (el) suyo (la) suya (los) suyos (las) suyas - because the third person forms of the possessive pronouns (el suyo, le suya, los suyos, las suyas) cam be ambiguous they can be replaced with the following for clarification: el de la de + Ud., él, ella, Uds., ellos, ellas los de las de Ex. El dicciona
More Less

Related notes for SPAN 112

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.