BUS 481 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Employee Retention, Work Unit, Human Capital

48 views3 pages

Document Summary

Org composed of physical, financial, human capital. Human capital = ksas of ppl & how motivated they are to use those capacities successfully on the job. Shift from viewing employees as cost to valuing employees as human capital. Staffing = process of acquiring, deplying, retaining a workforce of sufficient quantity & quality to (cid:272)reate positive i(cid:373)pa(cid:272)ts o(cid:374) org"s effe(cid:272)tive(cid:374)ess. Deployment = placement of new hires on actual job they will hold. Retention sys = manage inevitable flow of employee out of org. May not be clear at time of hire (i. e. specific work unit, geographic location) Also encompasses internal staffing sys (i. e. promotions, transfers, etc) Involuntary: layoffs, sale of business unit to another org. Voluntary: initiated by employee, leave org for another job. Should not seek to completely eliminate outflows, but org should try to minimize voluntary turnover. Both involuntary & voluntary turnover can be costly to org: planning, recruitment, selection, decision-making, job-offer, retention.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers