Chapter 4 – Application software: programs that let you work and play
Productivity Software for Home and Office
- Productivity software includes programs that enable you to perform various tasks required at
home, school, and business.
- Word Processing Software:
- Most students use word processing software to create and edit documents
- Most widely used application
- Open source software is program code that is publicly available and has few restrictions
- How do I control the way my documents look?
- Advantage of word processing software is you can easily create professional looking documents
with extensive formatting available.
- What special tools do word processing documents have?
- find-and-replace tool that allows you to search for text in your document and automatically
replace it with other text
- translate words and phrases into another language
- Spreadsheet Software
- Why do I use spreadsheet software?
- Enables you to do calculations and numerical analyses easily
- Evaluate different scenarios
- How do I use spreadsheet software?
- Individual boxes are called cells
- Text – any combination of letters, numbers, symbols, and spaces
- Values – numerical data that represent a quantity or amount
- Formulas – equations that you build yourself using addition, subtraction, multiplication, and
- Functions – formulas that are preprogrammed into the spreadsheet software
- The primary benefit of spreadsheet software is its ability to recalculate all functions and
formulas in the spreadsheet automatically when values for some of the inputs change
- The what-if analysis is when you test different assumptions in the same analysis
- Are spreadsheets used for anything besides financial analysis?
- there are so many powerful functions that they can be used for serious numerical analyses or
- Presentation software
- What software do I use to create presentations?
- Produce high quality presentations without any training
- Prezi uses a larger canvas which allows you to zoom into finer details and zoom out to broader
- Database Software
- How can I use database software?
- Powerful applications that allow you to store and organize data - Manage larger and more complicated groups of data that contain more than one table ; to
group, sort, and retrieve data; and to generate reports
- Organized into fields, records, and tables
- Field – data category such a first name, last name, and street address
- Record – a collection of related fields
- Table – groups related records
- Note taking software
- Is there software to help with note taking?
- OneNote allows you to write the handwritten notes directly onto the tablet and convert it to
- Organize team and other collaborative projects
- Personal Information Manager Software (PIM)
- Strive to replace the management tools found on a traditional desk – calendar, address book,
notepad, and to-do-list.
- Email management software allowing them to send, receive, and organize emails.
- Are there web-based PIM?
- Google syncs with outlook by logging into a Google account giving you access to your schedule
anywhere you have a computer
- Toodledo is an effective to-do manager that syncs with your Smartphone and desktop so you
always have your tasks at hand
- Productivity Software Features
- A wizard is a systematic guide that walks you through the steps necessary to complete a
- A template is a predesigned form – included in many productivity applications – provide a basic
structure for any type of document, spreadsheet, or presentation
- A macro is a small program that groups a series of commands so they will run as a single
command – used to automate a routine task or complex series of commands
- Software Suites
- A software suite is a group of software programs that have been bundled as a package
- Most productivity software suites contain similar basic components such as word processing,
spreadsheet, presentation, and PIM software
- It is cheaper to buy a software suite then it is to buy each program individually
- Personal financial software
- Tax preparation software enable you to prepare your state and federal taxes on your own
- Financial planning software helps you manage your daily finances
- Mint and Yodlee MoneyCenter are web-based programs that are great at tracking your daily
spending habits and offer solutions to manage spending better
Business Software for Home and Office
- Home Business Software - Accounting software allows small businesses to manage their finances more efficiently by
providing tools for tracking accounts receivable and payable
- Inventory management, payroll, and billing tools
- Desktop publishing (DTP) software allows you to incorporate and arrange graphics in your
documents in creative ways
- DTP programs also include features that allow you to publish to the web
- Web page authorizing software allows even the novice to design interesting and interactive web
pages without knowing an HTML code
- Large Business Software
- Project management software, such as Microsoft project, helps project managers create and
modify scheduling charts which help them plan and track specific tasks and coordinate
- Customer relationship management (CRM) software stores sales and client contact information
in one central database – used to get in touch and follow up with clients