FRHD 2280 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Moral Development, Individualism, Menarche

39 views6 pages

Document Summary

Cultural beliefs form the foundation for every aspect of socialization that takes place in a culture. In many cultures adolescence and emerging adulthood are times when knowledge of these beliefs is communicated with special intensity. Cultural beliefs are abstract: good and evil, right and wrong, vice and virtue. Symbolic inheritance= set of ideas and understandings, both implicit and explicit, about persons, society, nature, and divinity that serve as a guide to life in a particular culture. Expressed through stories, songs, rituals, sacred objects, sacred places: beliefs a(cid:271)out ulti(cid:373)ate (cid:373)ea(cid:374)i(cid:374)g of hu(cid:373)a(cid:374) life a(cid:374)d the pla(cid:272)e of a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s life i(cid:374) the (cid:448)ast scheme of things. Can be religious, political, familial, communal: roles= defined social positions in a culture, containing specifications of behaviour, status, and relations with others. Examples: age, gender, social class: gender roles= cultural beliefs about the kinds of work, appearance, and other aspects of behaviour that distinguish women from men.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers