PSYC 1000 Chapter Notes - Chapter 14.2: Hans Selye, Walter Bradford Cannon, Adrenal Gland

16 views2 pages

Document Summary

Appraisal: refers to the cognitive act of assessing and evaluating the potential threat and demands of the event. Is this a threat?" threats can be physical (i. e. someone trying to hurt you), or psychological (i. e. trying to study for two exams on the same day, or trying to deal with interpersonal conflicts) Answer is no stress levels don"t rise/reduce if there were any initially. Answer is yes stress levels spike leads to the secondary appraisal stage. Determine how to cope with the threat. Answer is yes you cope with the stressor (i. e. studying really hard for the exams over the course of several days) stress levels reduce. Answer is no you believe the stressor goes beyond your ability to cope. Stress levels continue/spike even further fight-or-flight response: A set of psychological changes that occur in response to psychological or physical threats. Proposed by walter cannon, helped laid the foundation for the modern study of stress.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers