chapter 5 - sensation and perception.docx

7 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 1000
Professor
Anne Bergen

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Psyc Notes
Chapter 5 Sensation and Perception
Sensation –> the stimulus-detection process by which our sense organs respond
to and translate environmental stimuli into nerve impulses that are sent to
the brain.
Perception-> the active process of organizing this stimulus input and giving it
meaning i.e making “sense” of what our senses tell us.
In the diagram, Perception allows us to realize the difference between ‘B and ‘13.
Perception of the characters is influenced by their context -> when we were younger, we
learnt that in the alphabet B is after A and before C, and numerically 12 is followed by
Synaesthesia -> “mixing of the senses” … a rare and mysterious condition where some
people may experience sounds as colours or tastes are touch sensations that have different
shapes.
Sensory Processes
We know the 5 classical senses:
Vision
Audition (hearing)
Touch
Gustation (taste)
Olfaction (smell)
But are these our only senses? Other ‘senses in our body provide information to our
brain about balance, body position, touch – can be broken down into degree of pressure,
pain and temperature for example.
Psychophysics is a scientific area which studies relations between physical
characteristics of stimuli and sensory capabilities. Psychophysics is concerned with two
types of sensitivity:
1. Absolute limits of sensitivity – what is the softest sound humans can hear?
2. Differences between stimuli - What is the smallest difference in brightness we can
detect?
Stimulus Detection: The Absolute Threshold
Absolute Threshold is the lowest intensity at which a stimulus can be detected correctly
50% of the time. The lower the abs. threshold, the greater the sensitivity.
Signal Detection Theory
- concerned with the factors that influence sensory judgments.
Decision Criterion -> a standard of how certain one must be that a stimulus is present
before they will say they detect it.
Not everyone has the same decision criterion. Factors affecting it can be fatigue,
expectation, and potential significance.
In a signal detection experiment, participants are told they may or may not hear a warning
tone. This makes persons expect to hear a tone, and may therefore pay higher attention to
listening for it.
The Difference Threshold
Difference Threshold is defined as the smallest difference between two stimuli that
people can perceive 50% of the time (Sometimes called just noticeable difference or
jnd)
For example, a slight difference in the taste of food can signal that it has gone bad. Wine
tasters and piano tuners earn their living by being able to make very slight
discriminations between stimuli.
Weber’s Law -> states that the jnd is directly proportional to the magnitude of the
stimulus with which the comparison is being made, and can be expressed as a Weber
Fraction. The jnd value for weights is a Weber fraction of 1/50.
e.g If you lift a weight of 500 grams, another comparison object must weigh 510 grams
for you to discriminate between them.
Sensory Adaptation
Sensory Adaptation* -> the diminishing sensitivity to an unchanging stimulus. For
example (1) the feel of your wristwatch on your wrist – the feeling becomes unnoticeable
after some time. (2) Diving into a cold pool – the water may feel cold at first but
eventually your body becomes used to the temperature.
This shows that adaptation occurs in response to unchanging stimuli.
*Adaptation is also referred to as habituation
The Sensory Systems
Vision
is electromagnetic energy which is measured in nanometers (nm). Humans visual
system is sensitive only to wavelengths extending from about 700nm down to 400

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Psyc Notes  Chapter 5 Sensation and Perception Sensation –>  the stimulus­detection process by which our sense organs respond  to and translate environmental stimuli into nerve impulses that are sent to  the brain. Perception­> the active process of organizing this stimulus input and giving it  meaning i.e making “sense” of what our senses tell us.  In the diagram, Perception allows us to realize the difference between ‘B’ and ‘13’.  Perception of the characters  is influenced by their context ­> when we were younger, we  learnt that in the alphabet B is after A and before C, and numerically 12 is followed by  13. Synaesthesia ­> “mixing of the senses” … a rare and mysterious condition where some  people may experience sounds as colours or tastes are touch sensations that have different  shapes. Sensory Processes We know the 5 classical senses:  • Vision • Audition (hearing) • Touch • Gustation (taste) • Olfaction (smell) But are these our only senses? Other ‘senses’ in our body provide information to our  brain about balance, body position, touch – can be broken down into degree of pressure,  pain and temperature for example.  Psychophysics is a scientific area which studies relations between physical  characteristics of stimuli and sensory capabilities. Psychophysics is concerned with two  types of sensitivity: 1. Absolute limits of sensitivity – what is the softest sound humans can hear? 2. Differences between stimuli ­ What is the smallest difference in brightness we can  detect?  Stimulus Detection: The Absolute Threshold Absolute Threshold is the lowest intensity at which a stimulus can be detected correctly  50% of the time. The lower the abs. threshold, the greater the sensitivity.  Signal Detection Theory ­ concerned with the factors that influence sensory judgments. Decision Criterion ­> a standard of how certain one must be that a stimulus is present  before they will say they detect it.  Not everyone has the same decision criterion.  Factors affecting it can be fatigue,  expectation, and potential significance.  In a signal detection experiment, participants are told they may or may not hear a warning  tone.  This makes persons expect to hear a tone, and may therefore pay higher attention to  listening for it. The Difference Threshold Difference Threshold is defined as the smallest difference between two stimuli that  people can perceive 50% of the time (Sometimes called just noticeable difference or  jnd) For example, a slight difference in the taste of food can signal that it has gone bad. Wine  tasters and piano tuners earn their living by being able to make very slight  discriminations between stimuli. Weber’s Law ­> states that the jnd is directly proportional to the magnitude of the  stimulus with which the comparison is being made, and can be expressed as a Weber  Fraction. The jnd value for weights is a Weber fraction of 1/50.  e.g If you lift a weight of 500 grams, another comparison object must weigh 510 grams  for you to discriminate between them. Sensory Adaptation Sensory Adaptation* ­> the diminishing sensitivity to an unchanging stimulus.  For  example (1) the feel of your wristwatch on your wrist – the feeling becomes unnoticeable  after some time. (2) Diving into a cold pool – the water may feel cold at first but  eventually your body becomes used to the temperature. This shows that adaptation occurs in response to unchanging stimuli. *Adaptation is also referred to as habituation The Sensory Systems Vision  is electromagnetic energy which is measured in nanometers (nm). Humans visual  system is sensitive only to wavelengths extending from about 700nm down to 400  nm. Unlike bees, we cannot see ultraviolet light (lower than 400 nm). Also, unlike  snakes we cannot detect infrared energy (above 700 nm) The Human Eye Light enters through the cornea (transparent protective structure at front of eye.). behind  is the  pupil (dilates or constricts to control amt. of light entering the eye ­> in dim light,  pupil dilates and in bright light pupil constricts). The pupil’s size is controlled by muscles  in the iris  (coloured part of eye). Lens behind pupil becomes thinner to focus on distant  objects, thicker to focus on nearby ones.  Retina (multi­layered tissue at the rear of the  fluid filled eyeball) focuses the visual image.  Lens reverses the image but the brain  reconstructs the image that we perceive. Myopia ­> near sightedness (can see close objects but not far) Hyperopia ­> far sightedness  The retina contains 2 types of light sensitive receptor cells – rods and cones.  Rods – function best in dim light, primarily black and white brightness receptors. 500  times more sensitive to light than the cones, but do not give rise to colour sensations.  Cones – function best in bright illumination.  Rods and Cones send messages to the brain by (1) Bipolar cells (synaptic connections with rods and cones) (2) ganglion cells (axons are collected into a bundle to form the optic nerve) The optic nerve exits through the back of the eye forming a blind spot.  *Check out the cool picture that proves it on page 178 at the bottom corner.  Transduction – process whereby characteristics of stimulus are converted into nerve  impulses. This is done by rods and cones through the action of protein molecules called  photopigments.  Dark adaptation – progressive improvement in brightness sensitivity. Example when  you walk into a dark cinema after you have just come out of the sunlight… your eyes ‘get  used to’ the dim lighting.  *Human’s difference threshold for light wavelengths are so small that we are able to  distinguish an estimated 7.5 million hue variations! There are 2 different theories of  colour vision attempting to explain how this occurs. The Young­Helmholtz Trichromatic Theory (three colour theory)  ­there are 3 types of colour receptors in the retina. Afterimage – an image in a different colour appears after a colour stimulus has been  viewed steadily and then withdrawn.  Example – if you stare at a light for some time and  then look away to a blank/white space, you see green dots after. Hering’s opponent­process theory – each of the 3 cone types respond to two different  wavelengths. One type responds to red or green and another to blue or yellow, and a 3  to  black or white  Dual process Theory – combines the trichromatic and opponent process theories to  account for the colour transduction process. Colour­Deficent Vision Dichromat – person who is col
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit