Textbook Notes (231,010)
CA (157,442)
U of G (12,508)
PSYC (3,483)
PSYC 2310 (271)
Chapter 3

PSYC 2310 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Fundamental Attribution Error, Individualism, Proverb

7 Pages
Winter 2014

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 2310
Professor
John Walsh
Chapter

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Lecture 3 - Tuesday, January 14, 2014
CH. 3 – SELF ACROSS CULTURE
Your culture makes you who you are
A classic joke:
oIn Britain everything is permitted except that which is forbidden
oIn Germany everything is forbidden except that which is permitted
oAnd in France everything is permitted even that which is forbidden
Definition of culture
There is not one definition of a culture
Culture comprises (1) the human-made part of the environment and (2) the social
institutions of the society such as norms, rules, and laws.
Shared understanding and values
Some of the norms and rules that exist in Canada that reflects its culture:
oLaws on homosexuality
oThe way we interact with out children or the way we teach
Not only is your culture around you but it’s part of who you are
Where is culture?
oCulture is in the heads of its members
oCulture changes through generations because the values and norms shift
through generations
Culture imposes a set of values
Culture shapes out experiences.
o“in some cultures, I would be considered normal.”
when you step outside of your culture you realize how different you are from
others
oecology shapes cultures
oecology -> culture -> social behavior
sameness vs. differences
there are universal behavior and experiences:
osmiling is universal
ointimacy exist in every culture, people have similar understanding of what
it is about
osocial greetings
oburying the dead
osympathy and empathy are basically universal
oemotions
there are cultural difference in practicing social behavior and interpreting
experiences (not language)
oexample: religion, food (people across the global need to it, but what do
we eat, when do we eat and how we eat varies from culture), marriage, etc.
oreligion is the reflection of attitude - for example having children when
you are not married (Indian vs. Iceland)
oin North America you get married to one person where as in other
countries it is acceptable to have more than one wife
oThe Cameroon example guys father dies, he inherits everything that
belonged to his father including his fathers wives and if they were in the
child bearing age, he was to mate with them. It may seem strange to N.A
but it is tradition for them, part of their culture.
Humans are more similar to one another than different
Who am I?
Self Concept -> Independent self I like dogs, I believe in peace, I smoke stud,
I’ma dreamer, I play guitar
Interdependent self (how you connect with others) -> I’m the only child, I’m a
psychology major, I’m Buddhist, I am Japanese, I live with my parents
Your uniqueness comes first
In North American…
Self: Starting with anecdotes
In America, “the squeaky wheel gets the grease.”
oYou want to stand out
oIn N.A they say eat your food, there are people around the world who are
starving not eat bla
In Japan, “the nail that stand out gets pounded down.”
oIt is not good to stand out, you need to be a unit with everyone else. Do
not draw attention to yourself
oIf you don’t eat your food, think of the poor man who made this rice. If
you don’t eat it, his effort would be wasted and you should do your part to
eat. You are not appreciating the farmers effort.
One valuing the difference and the other emphasizing fitting in
“It is good to know the truth, but better to speak to the palm trees” Arab proverb
“Say what you mean and what you say” American proverb
Investigation of personal ads
28 Single white male, 6’1, 160 lbs. Handsome, artistic, ambitious, seeks attractive
white female, 24 – 29, for friendship, romance ad permanent partnership.
oVs.
Gujarati Vaishnav parents invite correspondence from never married Gujararit
well settled, preferably green card holder from respectable family for green card
holder daughter 29 years, 5’ 4”, good looking, doing CPA
Independent Vs. Interdependent
Self is autonomous vs. self is connected with other

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 3 - Tuesday, January 14, 2014 CH. 3 – SELF ACROSS CULTURE • Your culture makes you who you are • Aclassic joke: o In Britain everything is permitted except that which is forbidden o In Germany everything is forbidden except that which is permitted o And in France everything is permitted even that which is forbidden Definition of culture • There is not one definition of a culture • Culture comprises (1) the human-made part of the environment and (2) the social institutions of the society such as norms, rules, and laws. • Shared understanding and values • Some of the norms and rules that exist in Canada that reflects its culture: o Laws on homosexuality o The way we interact with out children or the way we teach • Not only is your culture around you but it’s part of who you are • Where is culture? o Culture is in the heads of its members o Culture changes through generations because the values and norms shift through generations Culture imposes a set of values • Culture shapes out experiences. o “in some cultures, I would be considered normal.” • when you step outside of your culture you realize how different you are from others o ecology shapes cultures o ecology -> culture -> social behavior sameness vs. differences • there are universal behavior and experiences: o smiling is universal o intimacy exist in every culture, people have similar understanding of what it is about o social greetings o burying the dead o sympathy and empathy are basically universal o emotions • there are cultural difference in practicing social behavior and interpreting experiences (not language) o example: religion, food (people across the global need to it, but what do we eat, when do we eat and how we eat varies from culture), marriage, etc. o religion is the reflection of attitude - for example having children when you are not married (Indian vs. Iceland) o in North America you get married to one person where as in other countries it is acceptable to have more than one wife o The Cameroon example – guys father dies, he inherits everything that belonged to his father including his fathers wives and if they were in the child bearing age, he was to mate with them. It may seem strange to N.A but it is tradition for them, part of their culture. • Humans are more similar to one another than different Who am I? • Self – Concept -> Independent self – I like dogs, I believe in peace, I smoke stud, I’ma dreamer, I play guitar • Interdependent self (how you connect with others) -> I’m the only child, I’m a psychology major, I’m Buddhist, I am Japanese, I live with my parents • Your uniqueness comes first • In North American… Self: Starting with anecdotes • In America, “the squeaky wheel gets the grease.” o You want to stand out o In N.A they say eat your food, there are people around the world who are starving not eat bla • In Japan, “the nail that stand out gets pounded down.” o It is not good to stand out, you need to be a unit with everyone else. Do not draw attention to yourself o If you don’t eat your food, think of the poor man who made this rice. If you don’t eat it, his effort would be wasted and you should do your part to eat. You are not appreciating the farmers effort. • One valuing the difference and the other emphasizing fitting in • “It is good to know the truth, but better to speak to the palm trees”Arab proverb • “Say what you mean and what you say” American proverb Investigation of personal ads • 28 Single white male, 6’1, 160 lbs. Handsome, artistic, ambitious, seeks attractive white female, 24 – 29, for friendship, romance ad permanent partnership. o Vs. • Gujarati Vaishnav parents invite correspondence from never married Gujararit well settled, preferably green card holder from respectable family for green card holder daughter 29 years, 5’4”, good looking, doing CPA Independent Vs. Interdependent • Self is autonomous vs. self is connected with other • Self behaviors, primarily as a consequence of internal attributes vs. behavior of interdependent self is contingent on what the actor perceives to be the thoughts, feelings and actions of others • The independent self gives rise to self-actualization vs. the interdependent self gives rise to fulfilling and creating obligation. Three aspects of self • Triandis (1989)
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit