AFM231 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Alternative Dispute Resolution, Arbitration Clause, Counterclaim

43 views9 pages
Chapter 4
Legal problems cannot always be avoided even when sound management practices are in place.
This chapter focuses on the reactive aspect of risk management
Businesses like Northland should seek ways to mange disputes with the express goals of
Avoiding time-consuming and expensive litigation
Preserving desirable long-term commercial relationships
Business Activities and Legal Disputes
The Delinquent Customer
The ustoer’s refusal to pa its aout a idiate that Northlad has failed i its procedures for
extending credit
Northland must decide if it should give the customer an opportunity to recover financially before
demanding payment; offer to accept less than the full amount; write off the debt altogether; selling
the debt off to a collection agency
If the debt is not large, negotiating or writing it off may be more practical than spending money to
try and collect it
The Hacking Attempt
Northland has engaged the services of an IT security firm to install firewalls, so its all good
If future hackers are able to breach the firewalls, Northland could incur extra expense associated
with the recovery of data, etc.
“ie isurae o’t oer all the possile osts, Northlad ill aalze the osts of otaiig
additional insurance coverage or revise its risk management plan accordingly.
The Pollution Incident
Northlad’s operatios hae resulted i the disharge of a sall aout of pollutats ito the
environment.
Northland must report this incident and comply with properly enacted legislation such as a fine.
Unlikely to result in a legal dispute
Must report to insurer otherwise the insurance coverage for the event is invalidated
The ash released ito the air le to a farer’s lad, a result i a legal dispute.
The insurance company indicated to offer $50,000 to compensate the farmer for the damages done,
ut the farer o’t settle for less tha $,. This atter is a legal dispute.
Northland is likely to suffer the loss of good will and damage to its reputation
The Equipment Breakdown
A machine breakdown revealed that a bearing in the machine failed, causing the ore conveyor belt
to catch on fire.
The insurer is denying coverage because the losses were not from a sudden and accidental event,
ut due to Northlad’s failure to maintain the equipment
Although machine breakdown and resulting loss of profit was anticipated and managed by the
purchase of insurance, this incident will result in a legal dispute. The amount of money is too large
for a write off.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 9 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Many of these incidents at Northland was predicted by the risk management plan and a legal
dispute is unlikely to arise from them.
Northland got to live with some damage such as the delinquent customer, and the hacker because
the do’t ko the idetit of the haker.
Northland will engage in legal conflict with the farmer and the intransigent insurance company
Maagig disputes does’t ea sipl go to ourt, there are a as to resole
See page 89 figure 4.2 for alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
The most common are negotiation, mediation, and arbitration
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Negotiation
Negotiation is a problem-solving process in which parties discuss their differences and attempt to
reach a mutually agreeable resolution.
Most common method, cost effective, quick
Allow parties to craft a solution instead of having a judge to impose a resolution
Helps to preserve the relationship between the parties
When to negotiate
It’s oo for parties to ilude i their otrat a lause here the agree that durig ad
after the conclusion of the contract, they will make efforts to resolve any disputes by negotiation
It can be employed at any stage of a dispute
There are situations where negotiation is not the proper way to proceed
When insurance covers the risks that is the subject of the dispute. We need to let the
insurer to conduct settlement negotiations. Any attempt of private business negotiation
may jeopardize the coverage.
How to Negotiate
Sometimes nice to hire a lawyer, advocate, or counselor who has the expertise to help in
negotiation
First step is to investigate and situation to determine the nature and extent of the dispute
Then notify the parties involved to clarify the situation
I Northlad’s ase ith the farer, its est to otat hi iediatel ad assure hi that the
will put their best effort to remedy his loss. May apologize for the damage
“eeral proies hae passed apolog legislatio to perit an individual to show remorse
without triggering adverse legal consequences
Admitting or implying wrongdoing as well as expressions of regret of sympathy- provides
that an apology
It’s not an admission of liability
It’s not relevant when a judge makes a determination of liability
Cannot be used as evidence establishing liability
Cannot be used to void an insurance policy
Whether negotiation will succeed depend on:
The willingness of the parties to compromise
Unlock document

The nature and significant of the dispute
The priority the parties give to tis resolution
The effectiveness of those involved in the negotiation
If negotiation is successful, parties will enter into a settlement agreement of release (an agreement
where a party agrees to relinquish past, present, and future claims arising from a certain event) so
that dispute is unlikely to be resurrected or litigated in the future.
Also, should have confidentiality clause to ensure that the terms of the settlement are not revealed
or used to advance claims against the parties
The farmer settled for $75,000
When Negotiations End
Northland also negotiated with its insurance company but the insurance company was not willing to
compensate Northland for any losses.
When an impasse such as this occurs, the business is faced with a difficult choice: concede and cut
losses or risk the expenditure of more time and money. See figure 4-1
Mediation
Mediation is whereby a neutral person, called a mediator, assists the parties in reaching a
settlement of their dispute
It’s less expensive and quicker than more formal dispute resolution methods
It’s priate ad ofidetial if the parties hoose
It helps to preserve the relationship between the parties
It can result in a resolution tailored to the needs of the parties
When Mediation is Used
Used be use for family matters, now good for commercial disputes
Successfully used to resolve a wide range of business conflicts involving contract matters, personal
injuries, employment matters, environmental protection, and the like.
Unlock document

Document Summary

If the debt is not large, negotiating or writing it off may be more practical than spending money to try and collect it. The hacking attempt: northland has engaged the services of an it security firm to install firewalls, so its all good. This (cid:373)atter is a legal dispute: northland is likely to suffer the loss of good will and damage to its reputation. It"s (cid:272)o(cid:373)(cid:373)o(cid:374) for parties to i(cid:374)(cid:272)lude i(cid:374) their (cid:272)o(cid:374)tra(cid:272)t a (cid:272)lause (cid:449)here(cid:271)(cid:455) the(cid:455) agree that duri(cid:374)g a(cid:374)d after the conclusion of the contract, they will make efforts to resolve any disputes by negotiation. It can be employed at any stage of a dispute: there are situations where negotiation is not the proper way to proceed, when insurance covers the risks that is the subject of the dispute. We need to let the insurer to conduct settlement negotiations. Any attempt of private business negotiation may jeopardize the coverage.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers