AFM231 Chapter Notes - Chapter 27: Personal Bankruptcy, Secured Creditor, Meet Bill

33 views11 pages
Chapter 27- Bankruptcy and Insolvency
Business law in practice
Recall from last chapter that Bill and Martha borrowed $250k from the bank to finance their
epasio. $ as a ortgage o Hoeto’s lad ad uildig, $k as a lie of redit
seured  Hoeto’s ietor ad A/R. Bill ad Martha persoall guaranteed it.
The expansion failed
Bill also orroed $k fro his rother George ad he as also uder pressure to pa Hoeto’s
overdue account to a major supplier- Good Lumber.
He sold land that the company owned adjacent to the store and paid $20k to Good Lumber
and repaid George.
Hoeto’s assets osist of the lad ad uildig sujet to ortgage o hih the usiess Is
located, inventory, A/R, and a few pieces of equipment.
Hoeto’s liailities ilude the ortgage, the lie of redit, A/P, property taxes, and a
shareholder loan of $70k owed to Bill.
Hometown is also late in remitting its employee source deductions to the government
Bill would like to keep his business open and draw his regular salary for as long as possible.
He is concerned that if Hometown stops making payments to the bank or suppliers, they will take
some kind of legal action.
BUSINESS FAILURE
When overall economy experiences a downtown, even strong businesses may run into financial
difficulty
Hometown is caught in a declining economy
Threatened by big-box retailers
Hometown must deal with cash-flow problems, persistent and competing creditors, and possible
legal actions
To ensure all stakeholders are treated fairly, bankruptcy and insolvency law has evolved
In Canada: Bakrupt ad Isole ACT BIA ad Copaies’ Creditors Arrageet At
(CCAA)
INFORMAL STEPS
Before contemplating bankruptcy, Hometown may first try to solve its financial problems by way of
a negotiated settlement
Try to convince the creditors that the business can be salvaged so they would be willing to
make concessions in terms of payment
Creditors may agree to meet Bill and possibly with the services of a professional facilitator and reach
an agreement that either allows Hometown to continue operating or wind up its affairs without the
need for expensive legal proceedings
More creditor= less likely to reach consensus
Creditors ill agree if the eliee that i the log ru, it’ll e good for the tha legal proeedigs
and bankruptcy
Care for some creditors that will push through agreements that are unfair to other creditors
Facilitators are therefore there to identify these risks
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 11 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
When business is in serious financial trouble, negotiations may not be a viable option
Creditors may refuse to partiipate eause the’e deided its ot i their est iterest to
facilitate
PROCEEDINGS BEFORE BANKRUPTCY
Formal proceedings
Seek advice from a lawyer or accountant with insolvency expertise to understand all available
options
If Billy decides that bankruptcy is the best or only option, he will need the services of a trustee in
bankruptcy
Trustee i akrupt ill usuall agree to take o atter if there’s o oflit of iterest
present and the debtor has sufficient assets to pa for the trustee’s series
The trustee will explain the options available to Hometown. Begin to assess the estate (the
collective term for the assets of a bankrupt individual or corporation) and prepare a
preliminary statement of assets and liabilities
Bill and Martha may also become bankrupt because of personal guarantees
The trustee will then prepare a statement such as shown in the figure below
From the initial assessment, Hometown is insolvent (unable to meet financial obligations as they
become due or having insufficient assets, if liquidated, to meet financial obligations) that is
Hometown owes more than $1000 and
Unlock document

Is unable to meet its obligations as they become due or
Has creased paying its obligations as they become due or
Has assets with a fair market value less than its liabilities
Insolvency and bankruptcy is not the same
Isole is a fatual atter relatig to a perso’s assets ad liailities or his ailit to pa
his debts
Bankruptcy is a legal mechanism whereby the assets of an insolvent person are transferred
to a trustee, liquidated, and the net proceeds are distributed to creditors in a manner
determined by the BIA.
PROPOSALS AND ARRANGEMENTS
It may be possible for an insolvent debtor to avoid bankruptcy by making a proposal or entering into
an arrangement with creditors
A business is worth more to stakeholders as a going concern than if its forced to liquidate all
its assets
Proposals under the BIA
Allows a debtor to restructure its debt in order to avoid bankruptcy
Debtor offers creditors a percentage of what is owed to them, or to extend the time for
payment of debts, or a combination of both
Goal is to restructure the debts for the debtors to be able to pay them. As long as creditors
get more out of this than a bankruptcy
Two types of proposals under the BIA
Division I proposals are available to individuals and corporations with no limit on the total
amount of debt that is owed
Division II proposals are available to individuals with total debts less than $250k. This
proposal is ko as osuer proposals
In either case, the debtor works with trustee to develop a proposal and then stop making payments
to its unsecured creditors. Lawsuits against the debtor by creditors are stayed (stopped)
In case of Division I, the creditors will meet up to vote on the proposal and get an estimate
on the amount they expect to receive
The proposal is approved if 2/3 of the amounts owned and a majority in number
voted in acceptance and be approved by court
Debtors will make payments scheduled by the proposal and be released from debts
if debtor complied with everything. Division I give business the opportunity to
remain in business and be successful.
If not approved by creditors, the debtor is deemed to be bankrupt and the business
will cease to exist as of that date
In case of Division II, there may or may not be a meeting
The proposal is approved if creditors representing a majority accept it ad it’ll e
legally binding on all unsecured creditors
Unlock document

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class