AFM231 Chapter Notes - Chapter 11: Product Liability, Contributory Negligence, Strict Liability

96 views5 pages
Chapter 11 The tort of negligence
The Law of Negligence
What is negligence?
the law understands carelessness as a failure to show reasonable care- the care that a reasonable
person would have shown in a similar situation
negligence very common in the commercial world
the plaintiff need not show that the defendant intended to cause the damage. Instead, the tort of
negligence makes the defendant liable for failing to act reasonably
business law in practice: MEAT- a company that process food made a lot of people die from their
product because it had a bacterium known as Listeria Monocytogenes. The CEO recalled the
products, closed the plant, and tested for that bacteria. Jennifer consumed the product prior to the
recall and became sick and missed months of work. She got a lawyer after and Meat has been made
a subject of a class action.
Jennifer can succeed only if she can show that Meat failed to use reasonable care in the
manufacture of the product she consumed
Negligence law like tort law in general seeks to compensate victims for loss or injury
Deteies ho’s liale ad ho uh
Without it, usiess ould e elutat to podue eause the ould’t ko the ost of
liability in negligence
Establishing a Negligence Action
The elements in a tort action lack a certain specificity. Their purpose is to describe general standards
to help the court assess if defendant is negligent
1. Does the defendant owe the plaintiff a duty of care?
Meat will be liable if it owes Jennifer a duty of care (the responsibility owed to avoid carelessness
that causes harm to others)
Neighbour piiple, eas aoe ho ight easoal e affeted  the defedat’s odut.
Meat will owe them a duty of care
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Stage 1: in the relationship between the plaintiff and defendant, is there a prima facie duty of care?
Prima facie- at first sight or no first appearances
The plaintiff must demonstrate reasonable foreseeability: That the harm that occurred was
a reasonabl foeseeale oseuee of the defedat’s at
AND
Proximity: that there is a relationship of sufficient proximity between the parties such that it
would not be unjust or unfair to impose a duty of care on the defendant (whether the
defendant is under a oligatio to e idful of the plaitiff’s legitiate iteests i
conducting his or her affairs)
Stage 2: are there residual policy considerations outside the relationship of the parties that may
negate the imposition of a duty of care?
No longer considers the relationship of parties
Determine whether imposing a duty would be unwise because it would extend liability too
far
Its lea that Meat oes a dut of ae to the osues eause it’s easoal foeseeale that
careless acts could cause harm and the relationship between them is of sufficient proximity to
establish a duty of care
Under stage 2, check if there are general considerations that ought to eliminate or reduce that duty
so defendants are not liable to unreasonably broad, unknowable, and indeterminate extent
Likely to arise in area of pure economic loss e.g. loss of profit
I Meat’s ase, the judge would certainly not find any reason under stage 2 that would
eliiate Meat’s dut of ae to osues
2. Did the defendant breach the standard of care?
I geeal, the defedat’s odut is judged i opaiso to a easoale peso i soiet
Where the defendant exercises specialized skills such as doctors, lawyers, the standard of the
reasonable person described above is not applied. They must meet a higher standard of care
When the activity or product poses a high risk, the law imposes a higher standard of care
Fo eat, the uial eleae ould e ho saitatio at the defedat’s plat easued up to
standards in the industry ad hethe thee ee a failues i Meat’s hygiene protocol
3. Did the defedat’s aeless at o oissio ause the plaitiff’s iju?
Legal test for causation the elatioship that eists etee the defedat’s odut ad the
plaitiff’s loss or injury) is sometimes debated
Cout ould ask: ould the ha ot hae oued ut fo the defedat’s atios?
Gie that Listeia as foud i Meat’s peises ad i soe of its poduts, iludig the
kind consumed by Jennifer, causation appears to be in place
4. Was the injury suffered by the plaintiff too remote?
Court asks, ee if thee is a oligatio to take easoale ae ad it as eahed, ho fa ill
the legal liailit of the defedat steth?
Jennifer was sickened by listeriosis and so the injury is not too remove and is clearly a
easoale foeseeale oseuee of Meat’s egligee
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

The ceo recalled the products, closed the plant, and tested for that bacteria. Jennifer consumed the product prior to the recall and became sick and missed months of work. She got a lawyer after and meat has been made a subject of a class action. Establishing a negligence action: the elements in a tort action lack a certain specificity. Likely to arise in area of pure economic loss e. g. loss of profit. I(cid:374) ge(cid:374)e(cid:396)al, the defe(cid:374)da(cid:374)t"s (cid:272)o(cid:374)du(cid:272)t is judged i(cid:374) (cid:272)o(cid:373)pa(cid:396)iso(cid:374) to a (cid:396)easo(cid:374)a(cid:271)le pe(cid:396)so(cid:374) i(cid:374) so(cid:272)iet(cid:455: where the defendant exercises specialized skills such as doctors, lawyers, the standard of the reasonable person described above is not applied. It is only in a relatively few areas, such as negligent misstatement, that a plaintiff can recover for pure economic loss: the law requires the plaintiff to prove each and every element in a negligence action.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers