AFM231 Chapter Notes - Chapter 25: Electronic Funds Transfer, Brokerage Firm, Corporate Law

114 views10 pages
Chapter 25- Business and Banking
Business law in practice
Bill and Martha operate a building supply outlet in Timmins through a corporation- Hometown
Hardware Ltd
Bill is CEO and majority owner
Martha is VP and owns the remaining shares
The business dealt with the local branch of the same bank for many years now- Full Service Bank
(FSB)
Reetl, F“B got e aages so Bill ad Matha’s aouts ae hadled  ufailia people that
are not interested in Hometown Hardware and therefore, appearing as unhelpful
Bill is concerned with the high service fees on his accounts and raising interest rates on his loans
He is wondering if he should switch bank or re-negotiate term with FSB
Bill is also concerned about the growing number of cheques being returned to him by the bank
eause of ustoes’ isuffiiet fuds
Business and Banking
This chapter looks at the relationship between a business and its bank
The Regulation of Banks
Traditionally, the financial service industry had four distinct sectors: banks, trust companies, stock
brokerages, and insurance companies.
They were prohibited from conducting business beyond that sector
In 1987, Canadian legislation allowed banks to go beyond traditional banking and participate in
other sectors in their branches or through subsidiary firms
Banks now can do a variety of roles
Now there are greater structural flexibility between different types of financial institutions
The key remaining limit on aks’ usiess is the prohibition against selling or promoting insurance
products in their branches
So, branches conduct insurance on the side and online
Banks are increasingly offering international banking services, such as letters of credit, cross-border
transfers, and accounts in different currencies.
Parties involved in international transactions frequently incorporate these rules into their
agreement
In Canada, banks are under federal jurisdiction and are regulated through the federal Bank Act
The terms and conditions of the banks and its customers are primary concern, found in the
agreement, which are influenced by banking practice and common law rules
Contract law is the primary source of guidance
The Bank- Customer Relationship
One bank account into which the business deposits its cash receipts from customers and from which
it takes payments to suppliers, employees, etc.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 10 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Due to ak’s ieasig age of seies, its had fo usiess to deide hat akig seies the
need
Normally the ak does’t gie adie to ustoe uless its fiaial adie seie hih the,
there would be a fiduciary relationship, and the bank has several additional onerous duties including
to:
Provide advice with care and skill
Disclose any actual or potential conflicts of interest
Consider the interests of the customer ahead of those of the bank
E.g. if Bill has received advice from his banker as to the amount of the financing Hometown
needs, he can expect to receive competent advice from the bank and should be encouraged
to seek independent legal advice before agreeing to a financing arrangement which may
opeate heail i the ak’s faou
Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) is to protect and educate consumers through the
monitoring of institutios’ usiess paties egadig suh attes as aout fees ad edit ad
rates
Centre for the Financial Services OmbudsNetwork (CFSON) provide a one-stop complaint procedure
covering brokers, banks, insurance companies, and sellers of mutual funds in order to ensure fair
and impartial complaint resolution for consumers
Duties of the Bank and the Customer
The bank must
Honour payment instructions and repay deposits
Collect payment for the customer
Provide account information to the customer on a regular basis
Maitai see of the ustoe’s affais. This dut is ualified  legislatio
Customers must
Take reasonable steps to provide documentation as to who is authorized to give instructions
to the bank, in order to prevent fraud and forgery
Keep authorizations current
Notify the bank of any suspected problems
Provide safeguards for electronics communications
The Bank-Customer Agreement
Standard banking documents are to protect the bank, not the customer
Small firms have little bargaining power with the bank
Understanding the terms and conditions in the agreement will make Bill and Martha to identify risks
arising from the banking aspects of their business
The purposes of the account agreement (a contract that specifies the rights and obligations of a
bank and its customer) are to
Specify who has the authority to issue instructions to the bank and sign cheques on behalf
of the customer
Allocate the risk of loss resulting from problems with verifying the custoe’s authoit and
aig out the ustoe’s istutios
Unlock document

Describe the fees and other service charges which the bank may charge the customer
Describe the manner in which cheques and other instruments will be handled by the bank
Establish procedures and allocate risk for the security of accounts and confidential
information
Some terms of the account agreement may be negotiable, most are not including terms which limit
the aks’ duties ad liailities
E.g. a verification clause commonly found in account agreement gives the customers 30
days to detect and report any unauthorized payments that the bank makes from the
ustoe’s aout. Beod this peiod, the ustoe ill e esposile fo the loss.
Many business accounts have an overdraft feature which operates in a similar way to a line of credit
and allows an account to temporarily have a negative balance in order to prevent cheques written
on the account from being returned for insufficient funds.
A high interest rate is charged on any overdraft balance- making it unattractive
Electronic Banking
Electronic banking is financial transactions carried out through the use of computers, telephones, or
other electronic means
E.g. ATM, online
Some new banks have no physical branches and conduct all business online
Several legal issues arising from electronic transactions
Data are subject to system crashes or hackers
Fraud has become a significant concern
Transmission failures or system crashes
Last minute crashes cause delay in transfer can be significant
The process and timing of electronic transactions do not fit with existing rules related to risk
allocation for authentication, verification, and finalization of payments in paper-based transactions
The gap in the rules is being filled with banks assuming some risks and customers assuming others
E.g. customers are generally required to report suspicious transactions to the bank.
Provided they do so, the bank will often assume responsibility for a fraudulent transaction
iolig the ustoe’s aout
In addition, industry codes have been created to provide guidance.
There are also international rules since electronics transfers are often used for international
business transactions
If the sending and receiving banks are in different countries, these international rules deal
with the obligations of the parties, timing for payment, and liability and damages
Identity theft- the faudulet use of othes’ personal information to create a false identity
Oe a fo iitiatig idetit theft is phishig hee faudstes sed eail that appea to
be from reputable companies and ask for personal information in order to verify their
accounts
Methods of Payment
Cash -inconvenient ad does’t leae a pape tail
Unlock document

Document Summary

Chapter 25- business and banking: bill and martha operate a building supply outlet in timmins through a corporation- hometown. Business and banking: this chapter looks at the relationship between a business and its bank. The regulation of banks: traditionally, the financial service industry had four distinct sectors: banks, trust companies, stock brokerages, and insurance companies, they were prohibited from conducting business beyond that sector. Electronic banking: electronic banking is financial transactions carried out through the use of computers, telephones, or other electronic means, e. g. Provided they do so, the bank will often assume responsibility for a fraudulent transaction i(cid:374)(cid:448)ol(cid:448)i(cid:374)g the (cid:272)usto(cid:373)e(cid:396)"s a(cid:272)(cid:272)ou(cid:374)t. In addition, industry codes have been created to provide guidance: there are also international rules since electronics transfers are often used for international business transactions. If the sending and receiving banks are in different countries, these international rules deal with the obligations of the parties, timing for payment, and liability and damages.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers