AFM241 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2: Asset Turnover, Perfect Competition, Profit Margin

85 views10 pages
Chapter 2
News Based Context and Perspective
Firms want to sustain their competitive edge and focus on making one thing great that other
companies cannot imitate easily.
Fo a elatie pefoae stadpoit to opetitos, a fi’s opetitie positio a e
classified as being in competitive advantage, competitive parity, or competitive disadvantage.
Sustained versus temporary competitive advantage
Specific actions that firms take to neutralize threats or exploit opportunities by leveraging their
resources and capacities in order to gain a competitive advantage within a particular market are
known as business strategies.
Fi’s atios to gai opetitie adatage aross several markets are known as corporate
strategies.
Ho to alig a fi’s IT iitiaties ith its usiess stateg?
2.2 Relative Firm Performance
Relative firm performance is the driving force and goal of business strategy. Sets apart from
competitors.
Normal level of profits (zero economic profits) represents the minimum level of profits that
a business owner would consider necessary in order to make it worthwhile to run the
usiess. E.g. a fi that’s i opetitie pait; aot hage pie due to many
competitors; this firm competes in a perfectly competitive market
Economic (positive) profit means that the firm generates revenues above the opportunity
ost of the fi’s iputs. E.g. fi ith a opetitie adatage; fis opeate i a
monopolistic or oligopolistic markets
Aside fo eooi pofit ot a good easueet, use aoutig easueet hih does’t
assume we can measure the opportunity cost of a firm.
Two limitations are they provide a measure of past performance, and they don’t aout fo
risk.
Accounting measure of performance are divided into three groups
Efficiency
Asset and inventory turnover, sales per employee
Cost
COGS, and operating expenses
Profitability
ROA, ROE, and variations of profit margins.
The poide a ie i tes of the fi’s ailit to leeage its assets effiie ad otai its
cost in order to achieve a desired level of profitability.
How to bridge the gap between economic measures and accounting measures
Hybrid measures:
Economic value added (EVA), Market value added, return on invested capital, and
Toi’s 
Toi’s  speifies the fi’s aket alue as a ultiple of the eplaeet ost of its assets.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-3 of the document.
Unlock all 10 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
E.g. a firm with asset worth $100,000 and the market value of the firm is $500,000, this
means that the firm has been able to generate value from its assets and achieve above
normal performance.
A alue of Toi’s  aoe . idiates positie eooi pofits; has competitive edge
2.3 Business Models
Outlines how to deliver value to customer and turn payments into profits
Business models make assumptions on revenue and cost
Based on the assumptions, the management will decide:
The mechanisms and manner by which value is to be captured
Which technologies and features are to be embedded in the product and service
The way in which technologies are to be assembled
The identity of market segments to be targeted
How the revenue and cost structure of a business is to be designed to meet customer needs
Skype and Linked have thrived usig the feeiu odel. Get a lage use ased ith fee shit ad
introduce paid options.
Success of business model focuses on
Understand your potential customers and their needs
Analyze your operations and make sure that you can deliver what the customers want
(effectiveness) and when they want it (timeliness) at a reasonable cost (efficiency)
A business model defines how an enterprise interacts with its environment to define a unique
strategy, attract the resources and build the capacities to execute it, and in the process, create value
for all stakeholders
A successful business model aligns an organization with its environment
Wal-Mart uses the discount-retailing business model (idea of applying supermarket logic)
How did Sam Walton the founder of Walmart made it unique?
Chose to target a different group of customers (small towns). Customers would then shop
locally instead of going to the retailers in metropolitan areas
Everyday low prices
Made efficiency and cost reduction through innovation in purchasing, logistics, and
information management.
2.4 Role of Economic and Industry Wide Forces
.. Pote’s Fie Foes Faeok
Used to perform industry analysis and for business strategy development
The following five forces determine the competitive intensity and therefore attractiveness of a
market:
Threat of new entry
Rivalry among existing competitors
Bargaining power of buyers
Bargaining power of suppliers
Substitute products
An industry is unattractive if the combination of the forces drives down overall profitability
Unlock document

Perfect competition is unattractive while monopoly is attractive for example no substitutes in a
monopoly.
Threat of New Entry
New entries force profitability in the industry down. higher threat of entry = lower attractiveness of
industry
7 sources of entry barriers that work in favor of incumbent (holding a position) firms
Economies of scale: spread fixed costs over a large volume of output. Afte a poit, it’ll go
into dis-economies of scale. E.g. the administrative cost of managing a very large firm may
start rising faster than the drop in cost per unit of product due to larger factories. A new
et o’t ahiee a high olue of sales.
demand side benefits of scale (network effect): value of product that you consume
ieases ith the size of the etok of uses. E.g. I o’t use a podut if o oe else uses
it. Skype and LinkedIn has used freemium model to generate the mass network
customer switching costs: cost for customers to switch to another provider.
Capital requirements: new entries must invest in PPE, R&D, and capital expenditures.
Incumbent advantage independent of size: a patented technology has the potential to
provide a firm with a monopolistic power.
Access to distribution channels: incumbent firms control existing distribution channels
Government policy: incumbent firms may be supported by subsidies and preferential
treatment in government contracts.
Another barrier may be the retaliation of incumbents to the new entry
Unlock document

Document Summary

2. 2 relative firm performance: relative firm performance is the driving force and goal of business strategy. Sets apart from competitors: normal level of profits (zero economic profits) represents the minimum level of profits that a business owner would consider necessary in order to make it worthwhile to run the (cid:271)usi(cid:374)ess. Customers would then shop locally instead of going to the retailers in metropolitan areas: everyday low prices, made efficiency and cost reduction through innovation in purchasing, logistics, and information management. Afte(cid:396) a poi(cid:374)t, it"ll go into dis-economies of scale. E. g. the administrative cost of managing a very large firm may start rising faster than the drop in cost per unit of product due to larger factories. A new e(cid:374)t(cid:396)(cid:455) (cid:449)o(cid:374)"t a(cid:272)hie(cid:448)e a high (cid:448)olu(cid:373)e of sales: demand side benefits of scale (network effect): value of product that you consume i(cid:374)(cid:272)(cid:396)eases (cid:449)ith the size of the (cid:374)et(cid:449)o(cid:396)k of use(cid:396)s. e. g. I (cid:449)o(cid:374)"t use a p(cid:396)odu(cid:272)t if (cid:374)o o(cid:374)e else uses it.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers