PSYCH355 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4-7: In-Group Favoritism, How We Think, System Justification

25 views6 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 5: how we think about groups: social. Who is in and who is out social categorization. Social categorization: classifying people into groups to simplify the world. Makes us feel like we understand the world since categorizing someone = they"re similar to members of their group. Allows for top down perception: using group member traits and applying to individual negative about outgroup. Groups don"t need to be meaningful to elicit positive feelings about ingroup and. Outgroup homogeneity: seeing members of same group as similar to each other. Exaggerating differences between in-group members against outgroups. Part of the reason why i like us is because i like me ingroup members share. Attribution biases: positive behaviors/successful outcomes attributed to ingroup members" personality and negative to situation. Me and you instead of us and them : decategorization. Decategorization aims to think about other as unique individuals which reduces traits bias.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers