BIOL 121 (72)
Chapter 13

Biol 121- 2010.02.08- Genetics- Linkage (Ch. 13).docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of British Columbia
BIOL 121
Carol Pollock

Biol 121 225 Freeman 276281 286289Feb 8 10 Ch 13 Linkage Wild type individuals with the most common phenotype Mutationmutant change in a gene mutantindividuals with mutated traits Reciprocal cross set of matings where mothers phenotype in first cross is fathers phenotype in second cross and fathers phenotype in first cross is mothers phenotype in second cross Sex chromosomes sex chromosomes refer to the X and Y chromosomes in organisms X and Y chromosomes are different in size and shapethe Y chromosome is smaller they also contain different genes however they have regions that are similar enough to lead to proper pairing during prophase I of meiosis I male XY female XX Xlinkage or Xlinked inheritance the gene for a trait is located on the X chromosome and the Y chromosome does not carry an allele for the gene Ylinkage is the opposite though X and Y chromosomes synapse during prophase I they differ in size shape and gene content Autosomal inheritance genes on nonsex chromosomes show autosomal inheritance Linkage the physical association of genes that are found on the same chromosome if two or more genes are linked it means they are located on the same chromosomelinked genes violate the principle of independent assortment two alleles for two different genes located on one chromosome will be inherited together an exception to this is due to recombination because of crossing over in propha
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 121

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.