CMN1148 B The Communication Process
Key Points from the Exercise
• The importance of feedback.
• The transactive nature of communication (how we work out meaning as we go).
• What we see in our head is not necessarily what others understand.
• We are influenced by our background when we interpret others.
• How does this apply to personal and professional contexts?
• The process of acting upon information.
o (Someone/something says or does something and others think or do something in response).
Example: Construction worker holding up a sign. Animal communication fits under this general
sector and not human communication.
• The process of making sense out of the world and sharing that sense with others. Any form of
media is somebody making sense of the world and sharing it. Example: A student reading a book might
write a report on the book, which is her sharing that sense.
• Those presenting the media may adapt their message depending on certain interest. Example: The
audience, the government (wear a helmet on a bicycle), demographic they want to be presenting to,
ethical guidelines, location, advertising